Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting new key cut - will a 3-button work?

tommo123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VR 93
When I bought the '93 VR the keys it came with had 2 buttons, lock+unlock. None of them worked and the keys were basically held together with duct tape.

I'm looking to go to mr minit and get a new key fob + blade cut, would the fob with 3 buttons (lock/unlock/open boot) work? Or do I need to stick with the 2-button key.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
You can get a 3 button key and it should work. I have a wagon which only has a 1 button key, but got a 2nd spare 2 button key that works ok.
The problem you may have is that you need a working key/remote to get the new key/remote working.

tommo123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VR 93
I've got a working key, can open + turn on car, but the battery/internal components have basically just ****ed up. Do I need the remote to be working as well for it to unlock the car? The circuit board should be alright except for a bit of solder and a replacement part -- the bit of metal that holds the battery to the circuit board is broken.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
i know in my old VP the sensor behind the dash screwed up and it was going to cost an arm and a leg to fix it.
Ide get it sussed out by an auto elec before you go an spend money on keys and remotes, it may be just the key but it may not either.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Im pretty sure a 3 button remote will work ok where a two button remote was originally but if the car is not set up originally to use a 3 button remote,the third button that opens the boot will do nothing.Weren't VR's originally a one button remote?

tommo123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VR 93
Cheers mate. Will see if I can repair it on the cheap. The problem with the key appears to be that, apart from the whole thing being in pieces, the battery is not properly connected to the circuit board.

The metal clip holding the battery in place and poking through the board to provide power has broken a corner off and just falls out because the solder is broken.

So if I buy a $55 replacement key fob (there's a $14 on ebay but it's for VS, not VR), they should provide this clip and I can just put the new circuit board in, solder the pin in and have it work out of the box, right?

I wonder if Mr Minit would do that for me, I don't actually have a soldering kit..

Attachments

• 3..jpg
    3..jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 431
  • 2..jpg
    2..jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 1,675
  • 1..jpg
    1..jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 938

tommo123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VR 93
woteva, that thread kinda suggests I could pay holden to code me a new fob and then I could just swap out one of the blades from a broken key?

GenReaper you're right, I'm worried I'm gonna spend ages fixing a shitty key and then find out that there's something wrong with the car itself. But I can't think of a way to test it without going to Holden and coughing up $$$ anyway, in which case I may as well just have them do the whole thing

Bret, yeah VRs were sold with 1 button keys but mine had 2 buttons and i've seen 3-button fobs on ebay

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If you replace the circuit board with one from the key you buy it will still need to be reprogrammed.

tommo123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VR 93
Nah I'm saying swap the circuit board over, just replace the battery clip + solder it into the original circuit board but all within the new key fob (that has working buttons)

But it's just occured to me that the original circuit board won't do **** in a 3-button key fob because it doesn't have the connectors

**** it, i'll ring holden