Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

getting plastered

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Hey u guys, sort of on topic, but sort of a Hijack....

Im doing some reno work at home, downstairs bathroom, basically just a toilet and a hand basin, and just wondering if it should be fibro, (or whatever its called??) or is it ok to just use gyprock sheeting?? ATM its gyprock, not sure if its the wet area's type or not?? how do you tell? read the printing on the back lol?

All the work I've ever done, (was working for a bit for a plasterer) in bathrooms was always that grey type, (fibro?) with the pink/purple plaster wet area stuff...

Any help would be great...

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
is it already a bathroom?
if so why rip all the gyprock out?

you can get plaster for wet areas but personally in a bathroom i would use villaboard.
any bathroom i've done it's always been with villaboard
but i'm no expert i'm just a dumbarse cabinetmaker lol

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, its pretty much how its going to be layed out, Its really just a toilet, and a hand basin/sink..

The house is 13 years old, built by one of the big names, probly did it on the cheap or something?

I was only going to rip all the gyprock out, if people thought I sould replace it with villaboard, but thinking about it more, it probly doesnt get that wet anyway, just a sink and a toilet? with a splashback behind the sink,
Theres just a few spots needs repairing - where the tiles came off, and where we are going to move the sink taps, have them coming out of the wall, not mounted to the sink, pretty easy,

Thats why I asked, im just a dumbass plant mechanic lol, only really done 4 months of gyppie'ing (that was like a year ago too, so my first joins I did in the garage, arent exactly perfect!!)and all the bathrooms/laundrys weever did were all villaboard?

So hmm, maybe cause it doesnt get so wet might be ok to use the Aqua check (Is that the name?) gyprock? What do you rekon????

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
So hmm, maybe cause it doesnt get so wet might be ok to use the Aqua check (Is that the name?) gyprock? What do you rekon????

that's what it's called.
boral have one as well

i wouldn't be ripping it all out
i'd just patch it where it needs it using the wet area plaster

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sweet mate, sounds good, I'll have to get a sheet, repair about 400mm up from the ground, all the way around and behind the basin, 1200 x 700, for the plumber, so not much, just a few sort of butt joins - no recess on the old stuff?

With the normally recessed joints, ill cut a sheet in 3, along the 1200 - like 400 each, leaving a recess on one side of two of them, can/should I flip the two with recesses down, and have a flat surface to tape? Im thinking so..

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
If your going to have a butty its better to have cut edge to cut edge rather than recessed edge to cut edge

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Yea they are good but we only use them when its needed ie. massive spans
Far out... we use them for the whole house. Even if it is a little dog box size..

As far as I know ACT is the only state that uses metal batons as standard in all houses. It's awesome, saves on back blocking and makes it easier.