Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

getting plastered

slappa.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
after a bit of advice from members who are a plasterer by trade. (i know there is a couple around).

just need to know the go with butt jointing unispans. room size is 7m x 9m. joist direction is running the 9m @ 450 cc.

is was thinking 3600x1200 staggered butt joints? is this acceptable with back blocking?

anything i should know?

also for sound suspression, would i be best off using sound check gyprock or soundscreen plus R3.0 insulation?.

cheers:thumbsup:

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
for the briefest moment i was getting ready to tell all about my weekend at Yamba..... but then i read it.
Sorry mate.. can't help ya!!

holden-4-life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Equipe II
yes to staggered butt joints and yes 3600X1200 will be fine.
what do u mean with back blocking?
do u mean back blocking the butt joint? or all the joints?
u dont need to back block the butt joints. u do have to back block the recess joins.

slappa.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
hmm got me there? i was always under the impression back blocking was needed at floating butt joints. when you say back block to recess only, picturing a standard wall with the recess running across the studs horizontally, it wouldn't be back blocked. isn't the recess running across ceiling joists?

any ive included the engineers detailed specs so you know what im dribbling on about.

thanks for the help.

holden-4-life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Equipe II
haha my bad, if u can help it try not to have a floating butt join, cut the sheet back to the joist. u should always try and join ur butt joins on a joist, the end of one sheet hanging half way over the joist and the start of the over sheet on the other half.

yes u do always have to back block floating butt joins but try not to have a floating.

i take u know u only have to back block the ceilings, not the walls.

slappa.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
yeh so we are talking the same thing, i just should have mentioned it would be floating not landing on a joist.

only reason for floating was it worked 3600 with minimal offcut, i'll have to go to 4200 to cut back at a joist.

yeh i was just using the wall as a easier example to think of.

thanks for the help.
thanks for ur help.

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
You are supposed to float butt joints anyway last i checked back blocked of course. the rest of the room has to be back blocked too as it is 3 joins or more wide. As for the sound id go with your standard sheet with acoustic insulation @ R2.0 or higher. I haven't done a lot of sound proofing work but that combination works well at the oldies place

Last edited:

elemeNtz

It's my first day :3
Reaction score
Members Ride
responsibly
for the briefest moment i was getting ready to tell all about my weekend at Yamba..... but then i read it.
Sorry mate.. can't help ya!!
As i don't drink i was preparing to get on my moral high horse and annoy all people who drink :p

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
You are supposed to float butt joints anyway last i checked back blocked of course. the rest of the room has to be back blocked too as it is 3 joins or more wide. As for the sound id go with your standard sheet with acoustic insulation @ R2.0 or higher. I haven't done a lot of sound proofing work but that combination works well at the oldies place
Best way to do it is not fix directly to the trusses lol. Direct fix is dodgy as.. metal batons work soo much better.

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Yea they are good but we only use them when its needed ie. massive spans