Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting power to the ground VS UTE

VSBOY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hey guys, my vs ute manual ecotec has a fair bit of power.
Extractors
98 tune from chiptorque
SS CAI
Mace manifold spacer.
mace ultra ratio roller rocker arms.

And it's great in 2nd gear really puts you in your seat. However I just need help in getting the car to not twist when I kick it in the guts.
I can feel the whole back end almost go, and it's not safe. Any way I can stabilise the cars rear?

Android

Reaction score
Website
www.androidsnetwork.com
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY9.5
Perhaps a stronger sway bar? Roll cage?
I replaced my front ages ago, a lot less roll when taking corners.
Another alternative is to just not give it too much stick :)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
How are your trailing arm and diff bushes looking?

Also, what size wheels (including wheel width) and tyres and suspension do you have? Also diff?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Just to add to RJK's comment above:
What condition are the rear shocks in ?
Check your panhard rod bushes also
I had the same issue with my old VS ute wanting to kick out all the time. Would catch you off guard on occasion & get the heart rate going especially when low on fuel
I replaced the rear shocks that were shot & went from a 205/65r15 tyre that would spin and carry on if you sneezed while driving to 17's with a 235/45r17 and than settled her down in the arse.
Not that it was anything radical to begin with, just the extra bit of width helped. But you could still throw her around if you really wanted to.

I think what your experiencing has a lot to do with the use of your right foot, I know that most of the time what was my issue :driving:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Sounds like it's an open pegger (or worn out LSD) and that would be your biggest problem, no offence I'm sure it goes well but it's going to be less than sedate on the big boys power scale. On top of the light flimsy arse end on a VS ute (made for hauling not performance) this would make it looser than my last ex.

Put in an LSD, replace rubber bushes with urethane, upgrade swaybar and panhard to something really solid. No matter what though it's a VS ute there's only so much you can do. Guys who are crazy enough to race them (I know 2) usually rip the arse end out and go custom coilovers and panhards.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
As Poll above has said, get a better diff put in, LSD would be a good bet, have it rebuilt and set up right.
look into what else you can do to reduce too much roll and keep it relatively solid. so swaybars and similar. but don't go too big either way as it can dramatically effect it negatively. if you do increase front and rear bars go a bit larger in the front to reduce the oversteer.

the other option is, have you thought about driving a bit more sensibly?
having done some relatively similar things to my own VS ute but a bit differently. along with having it dynoed for giggles (it only just cracked 3 figures but due to the set up had a decent lower end torque range so came on quite early) it has to be pushed quite hard to loose the rear end as you are saying. so I can only assume you must be smashing gears or only using the mid to upper revs. as I know personally when I am having a little bit of fun the only time it gets close to loosing traction is if it is being driven bloody hard
there is a time and place for having fun but doing it everywhere will eventually lead into trouble which will bite you on the arse.
just be sensible about it. ie smashing the pedal down with the steering turned and of course youll start to loose traction due to physics and what not.

but yeah. either fix the LSD or put one in.
and make it a bit stiffer and youll find it will not be as loose.

other option is, have you checked the tyres?
worn out or cheapo brands will cause it to be really slippy slidey.
put some decent ones on and youll notice a difference straight away.
will also make it all around safer

VSBOY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Hey guys thanks for all the replies!
I did some testing today and I think a few of you are right about this LSD thing.
The tyres are brand new 245r17's so plenty of tyre.

On the highway when I do quic light turns I feel the whole car body roll: it's almost as if the car can't keep up with the tyres. Could this mean steering rack issues or perhaps a really worn sway bar?

Also it's the way I'm
Driving it. But I've driven v8's and had less twist when getting on it in first...

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Is it stock suspension?
Rear swaybar, lower springs and stiffer shocks (or coilovers) will help that body roll a fair bit
Then there's the bushes and so on

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
just because its new tyres and has plenty of tread doesn't mean they are good for grip.
the adage of you get what you pay for comes to mind here.