Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting the kit joins to match/smooth up ?

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Hi guys,

Just fitted a VX SS front bar to the car and it seems that just under the headlights, in particular, where the kit meets up with the front quarter panels, the join sits too far away from the body. I can push it in closer, but as soon as there's some movement etc (ie. going over decent bumps in the road), it comes back out, just wondering if there's a way to smooth it up?

The kit fits fine, it's just that it's like it needs heat moulding into shape or something so that naturally it'll try and sit closer to the body.

Thoughts?

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
yeah all the bolts etc done up properly and clips in fine.
It's as if because it's been off of a car for a while the part that meets with the quarter panel under the headlights just sits a bit straighter naturally, and there's no clips under the headlight etc for it to clip into to hold it in place from what I can see.

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Pull the bar back off, boil the kettle, pour boiling water over the areas that are sagged / distorted from being off the car for so long, this will relax the plastic, while its still hot, hold the bar in the right place untill it cools, then fit it back up.

OR

Run some tape from wheel arch to wheel arch on the bar, and pull the ends in, then hold in place with tape, leave it in the sun for a day on the ground. Fit up at night when its cool and you will be all sweet.

Either way you just need to change the memory of the plastic to get it back to the way it was moulded from factory. :)

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
will the boiling water affect the new paintwork at all ?

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
If the paint is cured and hard, it won't, when i was plastic welding we had a big 'bath' where we could place whole bumpers into the water, fully submerge them for about 20 minutes, pull it out and reset the bumpers and it wouldnt affect the paint.

I wouldn't do it to FRESH paint though.

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
Alright. That's what I was thinking. Might leave it for a month or something and do it then?
Would that be ample time to cure ?

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
legend, cheers mate