Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting this 'advanced cam' yadda right!

Marco-EFIVL

Now driving R34 GT-T taxi
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Skyline, R34 GT-T (RB25DET NEO) sedan
I've seen this topic being flug around these forums for a bit, and I know a bit about the mechanics of motors in general. However, being here for a few months, and reasonably active at that, I've learnt alot about the Nissan RB range of engines.

Now being a VL driver, 3spd Berlina, I'm looking at ways to get a tad more oomph without massive $$$'s. Atm I'm looking at installing twin hyclones, a new ecu, 2.5" exhaust and a new K&N filter. However, I would like to do this advanced cam timing that I've read about here.

All I would like is for someone that has done the procedure, or understands the technicalities of it to outline exactly what it is about. I've read someone talking about advancing the cam 12 to 15 degrees, and others talking about Nissan setting the cam on the 53rd tooth whilst Holden pegged it back to the 52nd tooth, like, what is the diff between '52nd to 53rd tooth' and the '12 to 15 degrees' stuff. Am I right on that? or no? Could someone please clarify this for me so I know what I'm in for....

Cheers:
Marco.

Last edited:

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Marco-EFIVL said:
I've seen this topic being flug around these forums for a bit, and I know a bit about the mechanics of motors in general. However, being here for a few months, and reasonably active at that, I've learnt alot about the Nissan RB range of engines.

Now being a VL driver, 3spd Berlina, I'm looking at ways to get a tad more oomph with massive $$$'s.

do u mean without massive $$$'s ?? coz IF ur lookin at spendin massive $$$'s id highly recommend a twin turbo Gen3 setup in your VL ...... that would give slightly more 'ooomph' :w00t: :yeah: :thumbsup:

as for mods all im doin with mine is 5speed manual *already in* K&n Filter *already in* and i want to put a 2.5in exhaust n extractors on *already got the exhaust n headers* and then im just gunna save up and buy an old 308, work it and then put that in :D. No-one i know personally has done the cam timing thing so i cant tell ya what it would do. i have read about it but its hard to beleive sum ppl over the net. they think they know more than they do .. sum of them anyway :)

i know u can advance the timing on the dizzy cant ya? is that what u meant?

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
there's a difference between advancing the cam and the ignition. the ignition is when to fire the spark and the cam is when to let the fuel in and out.

if you have the dosh then turbo the **** out of it. don't get the hyclones, waste of time. build a strong motor with big turbo, strong box and 9" rear end with 4.11 ratio and she'll be very quick.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
come on little man, lets here your view then. don't post that then leave it. can you back yourself up?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Advancing the cam will move the power band down lower in the rev range, retarding it will move the power band up higher, you can get cam gears for most motors that have little offest pins to adjust the cam timing but I don't know what's the setup on the RB30

BigDaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
bangers said:
there's a difference between advancing the cam and the ignition. the ignition is when to fire the spark and the cam is when to let the fuel in and out.

if you have the dosh then turbo the **** out of it. don't get the hyclones, waste of time. build a strong motor with big turbo, strong box and 9" rear end with 4.11 ratio and she'll be very quick.

i think he was tryin to say he dont have much dosh, well not much to spend anyway. :)

Marco-EFIVL

Now driving R34 GT-T taxi
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Skyline, R34 GT-T (RB25DET NEO) sedan
Dose Pipe said:
go do a basic automotive tafe course you obviously dont know as much as you think :)

Well my knowledge is limited, but if you asked me what a crankshaft or a conrod is, I'd be able to tell you, but I'm in the dark with the more finiky things, such as this camtiming yadda. I didn't say I was a genius, but some clear and well written instructions/advise wouldn't go astray mate!:wax:

BigDaz said:
i think he was tryin to say he dont have much dosh, well not much to spend anyway. :)

Well I'm not tight, but I don't want to waste money. Chances are my old man is going to help me get an R34 Skyline by year's end so there is no point spending a fortune on my VL, but I do want to do SOME work on it in the time being. However I don't really want to go changing heads, gearboxes and whacking on a turbo in this case....

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
well if you want it to have more go and be fun to drive i'd say put a manual in it. not that expensive and easy enough to do.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
If your getting an R34, I would not spend a cent on the VL.