Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ghost Cam Ecotec 3.8L Automatic

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well a cam on a VT is unlikely to give you 130kw per tonne at the wheels.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I do get your points but around where I live in the country. The country cops do not care about internal modfications you get pulled over for maybe too low or just hooning around with p plates. Country cops are very different to city cops as city cops come around and do not give a **** what you've done to ya car they'll find a way to defect it. Having extractors and highflow cats are one of my least worries its really more so how you treat the car around the streets.

If you dont flog your car around every corner cops may pull you over but they're very unlikely to ask you about the modfications, pop the bonnet.

But otherwise yes I would fake my stock cam towards a lumpy idle I do see how cops dont really bring over their tool kit just to specifically look if you have a cam. This is purely just for sound. So overall answer, get a stage 2 cam and travel on from there.

Only worried was because mate got recently pulled over for his L67 (which is now being classified as illegal for P plates in SA) they then said next time they pull him over they would like proof of the power to weight ratio and they'll let him have it that being 130kw per tonne. Looking back Im pretty sure the only reasoning behind them being sceptical on if his car were too quick was purely because he had a supercharger.
The authorities normally frown upon forced induction quite heavily for P platers in any case (unless it’s turbo diesel) even if it’s below power to weight ratio as it’s so easy to just up the boost and make more power.

If your going to go to the trouble of getting a tune done you might as well throw a cam in to make it a worthwhile proposition.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There are people who do the whole "ghost cam tune" for the ecotec but non on this forum that I know off so you will probably need to extend your search beyond this forum.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
As Immortality said there is a peep or two on another forum that have done their own cars & iirc also put them on youtube.

Most of us old folk can't really see the point but that's whole point of being young.

Best way to do do it would be having 2 ecu/tunes so can have doof doof idle then later on when get sick of it,defected or break something simply put backup ecu/tune into car with stock tune.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Unless it’s a post 2010 vehicle supercharged vehicles have always been off limits for P platers in SA.
I assume you are talking the old eco L67 for your mate, in which case it has never been allowed for P platers to driver under the high power rules.

As frustrating as it is, perhaps leave the mods until you have seen out your P conditions.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
"Ghost cam"? Lol. I couldn't think of anything worse than tuning for all the worst attributes of a big cam (shitty idle, compromised power band, extra fuel, smell) with none of the benefits.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Taking a lead off or having 1 dead cylinder doesn't really effect idle too much on late model engines.

<< Engine in avatar melted through rear lead that was too close top extractor...idled fine just felt down on power

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Taking a lead off or having 1 dead cylinder doesn't really effect idle too much on late model engines.

<< Engine in avatar melted through rear lead that was too close top extractor...idled fine just felt down on power
I tried taking a lead or 2 off my 6 litre just for the hell of it one time, didn’t sound the slightest bit lumpy at idle lol

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover

You obviously haven't seen an ecotech with a dead cylinder, they are pretty lumpy.