Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gilbs' custom VS

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
The 200kw is not that far away Gilbs, I'm sure you'll reach it. Can't wait to see it when you do.

I hope so Nick! just dont want to get the hopes up too much just now.

Any hints as to how you got 187rwkw without F/I?? Is it stroked?

Its from 3.8L, i kid you not. I have found that i was able to eek out every single kw through basic efficiency mods. big cam, worked heads, very good intake setup, 5 different exhaust combos! and the biggy was the tune, brings the best out of it. Only reason im not inclined to put full details up is due to attention from the boys whos attention i DONT want.. if you know what i mean.

Well done gilbs and dont worry about the haters put it up mate, I wouldnt mind seeing it.

cheers Steve.. means a lot coming form a fellow revhead with a much more potent weapon! lol. will scan up the graph in the next few days.

truck oath! some supercharged ecotecs arent even making that much. i think you'll make 200rwkw eventualy. i would be bloody proud!!

I hope it will get up there some day!

this thing puts v8 to shame

Just yours at the moment haha... not for too much longer i bet

He's right! :bang: :p

184rwkw NA is daaaaamn impressive! Give us a hint? I'm with WW, it's stroked aint it! ;)

Na mate definitely 3.8L! its pretty much just the 3.8L block that is yet untouched. But the next engine will be something even more special... but still staying with 3.8L

300kwv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67
Post up dyno sheet, would love to see how much torque its making aswell.

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 VH SLX, '08 Prado Grande
Na mate definitely 3.8L! its pretty much just the 3.8L block that is yet untouched. But the next engine will be something even more special... but still staying with 3.8L

:bow:

due to attention from the boys whos attention i DONT want.. if you know what i mean.

Understandable ;)

HRT 666

Cammed 8t-body stroker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubby S2 M6
Good on ya man and your haven fun thats all that matters bloke.

<RaBBiT>

Follow the White RaBBiT>>
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Berlina V8, VS Calais 5spd, VN V8, VR States
yeah puts mine to shame big timelooking forward to ur new mods which reminds me i have a ecotech in my shed with ur name on it

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
Great car gilbs, It's my favourite car on this site! I've been following your progress for ages and I'm a big fan of your work. Top stuff.

I've been heading in a similar direction with my ecotec and its now time for cam and head work so I just have a few questions for you:

Did you have your heads shaved much? Are you running higher than 10:1 comp?

Is your cam a custom grind for high ratio rocker?

Are you burning a lot of fuel now? I mean regular driving not hauling ass

Did you have to raise your idle very high to get the thing to idle properly?

Do you have any issues with the car revs increasing to high when the car rolls at low speed (function of the manual ECU to prevent stalling)?

Are you running an auto engine block rebuilt with manual cam? Or did you find a manual engine around? I also did the manual conversion and I'm still worried about the auto crank flange not having any flywheel dowel pin holes, particularly as I keep increasing the engines power output.

Last edited:

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Great car gilbs, It's my favourite car on this site! I've been following your progress for ages and I'm a big fan of your work. Top stuff.

I've been heading in a similar direction with my ecotec and its now time for cam and head work so I just have a few questions for you:

Did you have your heads shaved much? Are you running higher than 10:1 comp?

Is your cam a custom grind for high ratio rocker?

Are you burning a lot of fuel now? I mean regular driving not hauling ass

Did you have to raise your idle very high to get the thing to idle properly?

Do you have any issues with the car revs increasing to high when the car rolls at low speed (function of the manual ECU to prevent stalling)?

Are you running an auto engine block rebuilt with manual cam? Or did you find a manual engine around? I also did the manual conversion and I'm still worried about the auto crank flange not having any flywheel dowel pin holes, particularly as I keep increasing the engines power output.

Thanks very much, i appreciate the support.

The machine shop crunched the numbers and took off about 20 thou i think it was.. cant remember now. The head porting was done at my mates machine shop (as he's a tool maker) and it was just a matter of a little of attention to the bowls mostly, creating a clean smooth flow. More work was done on the exhaust side.

The ever so midget increase in comp was no where near enough to get the best out of the cam. This i why i am building another fresh (vx) block out in the shed. that will get flat tops, and a full freshen up... plus the cam.

Yes the cam is a custom unit made to my specs (well mine and my tuner/ engine builder). it was specifically made to suit the 1.8 yella terra rockers. its a pig down low (under 2500) to drive on stock-ish comp, but once it clears its throat she opens up real well lol. but i was always intending to give it more compression later.

untuned it was terrible on juice 19L/100! but a dyno tune got the town fuel average down to 11.5L/100. The idle is on about 850, a bit low for a cammed engine but i wanted it to sound cranky :yeah: you have to hear it :thumbsup: heaps happy with it! but its only a weekender now so i boot it around and i dont worry bout econ too much.

Lastly... i didnt have any problems with idling and stalling, when using the auto ecu, back when the engine was un-cammed. but once the big bump stick went in the problems surfaced. i bit the bullet and i bought a manual ecu. now its at the tuners getting prepped fpr a change over into may car.

Hope i have helped :thumbsup:

VSSECO

Underdog rebuild
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS - 6 pots, 5 cogs
Thanks heaps mate, yeah that helps me out. Goodluck cracking the 200rwkw barrier. A bit of compression and some V-power should get you pretty close

Leigh_G

..forgot the sump bolt
Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 VH SLX, '08 Prado Grande
Post a vid of it idling, I'm very curious to hear a cammed 3.8! :thumbsup: