Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gilbs' custom VS

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Thats pretty hard to answer specifically... The power jumped substantially with the extra compression and ported heads. There's also been over 20 hours on the dyno testing and tweaking the tune up to get THE very best from the combo.

to make a quick car its a combination of many things... its not necessarily power as you should know.

Before i went totally extreme with this car, i did basic mods that were very effective. CAI, Extractors, twin cats and free flowing exhaust. shiftkit, 3.9's LSD, 1.8 rockers. It was a demon on the street and the 5L's were a pushover. With these mods you should be in the high 14's at minimum.... 14.7-14.9

Then i wanted to go faster and make more grunt, so roll on stage II. ground up engine build, purpose built cam, all new valve train etc etc. I'd say that most of the time on the engine was spent on porting the intake and exhaust tracts. There's still more power to be had out of this combo, but im saving for my house.

Preserving low down urge is a tough one.... as most engine mods on v6's are most effective at mid to top end. IMO the v6 is the best down low when they are bone stock! You can get cam grinds that are suited to low end? sticking to a single 2.25 exhaust will keep it 'pokey' around town. definitely fit a shiftkit. with 3.9s and LSD in it too it'll be a snappy street car.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers for the writeup haha. Yeah at the moment got CAI, Extractors and full 2.5inch system, with a bored out TB. Looking at 3.7 LSD and 1.95 rockers soon, then the mace spacers, and finally some transmission work.

vscom88

Andrew-
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hey mate, what were the biggest things for power gain in your car?
I'm hoping to get a pretty quick N/A Ecotec, would be happy with low 14's but would like to break 13.
Got a few mods on there atm, just wondering what some recommendations are?
I prefer my low end power too if it helpos

Pull the engine out - rebuild it
Don't bother modifying it while its in the car to much effort to go to all to wonder how your bottom end is going to hold up.

I must of done something wrong in my build, i got 223 HP with standard rocker ratio, maybe i should of kept the 1.8 ratio and that would of bumped me up to 233 HP or something. I can tell ya it was a bloody expensive build i assure you that much with ecotecs. parts are not on demand as such like 308 and 304 etc. Set of rockers, springs and valves depending on what type you get you can be looking not to far off 2000 $

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
If you dont have the dollars to do a full refresh the stock bottom end will still press out some good numbers!

The very first v6 i tinkered with was a 250 xxx odd kay donk. Still had good compression and copped a flogging. Put HR rockers, cam, double row chain and valve springs on it and the only parts that started to tire were the valve guides. She'd puff out smoke for a few seconds on start up. I pulled this engine down before it died and internally it was pretty good! all bearings were good, bores were ok... but the valves rattled in their guides lol.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Yeah I have been looking around from some rebuild quotes. Mine has just hit 200k, so getting there.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
Can anyone help me out with why I cant edit my first post? there's no edit button?

PM'ed a couple moderators about it any havent heard squat back