Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Globes, whats what...........

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
well im looking at globes for my vl now.
just fitted new headlights so i wouldnt mind getting the most out of them

im looking into too the Philips range more specifically

i currently have the bluevision 4300K in my vs and i love them. had them for a few years and cant complain
love the destictive white light they produce aswel

with my vl im wanting too still have the white light glow
im looking at the philips diamondvision 5000K which is the highest with out going HID
yer they are a little pricey but hey im not the biggest tight ass with my car:p

now my question is with the kelvin raiting going up will the globe produce more heat and draw more power?
they are 60/55W................

with the vls in paticular they have probs with melting fuse rails because of headlights drawing too much current,
so just want to be sure

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
get philips 50%+ or even 80%+ nice and white
the ones in your vs are **** looks blue and dull
the 50+ are much whiter than bluevision ones and legal

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
You can get phillips globes that claim to produce more light without burning xenon gas and going blue. X-VisionPlus and X-Treme Power I think.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Changing colour temp eg 6000k or 8000k etc doesn't mean more heat. It means its a blue light rather than a yellow or a white light at colour temp or 4300k. Plus anything above 4300k means that the light is duller and less lumens.

Read a couple of sites firstly;

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

After you have read that, and hopefully you understand, you will then visit this site;

PowerBulbs - Car Bulbs, Headlight Bulbs, Xenon Bulbs from Philips and Osram, including Philips Xtreme Power and Osram NightBreaker globes.

After visiting that site, hopefully you will then have a set of philips or osram plus 80% or 90% on order.

Don't go for blue globes to make white light. Yes it looks brighter at first glance and it may look cool having bluish lights or white/blue looking, but its not cool to have less light on the road.

Its a misconception that just because the bluish globes seem to reflect road signs from further distance, this doesn't mean you are getting more light, just more glare. Hence why, when you see cars coming towards you with blue globes, they look glary. This doesn't mean they are brighter.

Read the lighting link and hopefully you will understand.

PS My current VZ Calais has Osram Plus 90% H11 that I installed a week ago. They are slightly whiter than stock, they are 3500k rather than stock 3000k, and they have a heap more light.

My previous VS Commodore had Philips X-treme plus 80% H4 globes and were brilliant also. I couldn't go for philips again as I now have H11 type and philips do not do the plus 80% in that globe type.

My current VL Berlina Turbo has actually 90/100w globes in the high/low H4 spot, and 100w in the inner high beam H3 spot. These globes were installed over 3 years ago (I would go for the plus 80%/90% route now as no wiring changes requried). The globes are philips rally and they are super bright. I can get away with this on a VL for several reasons. Firstly, my best mate is an auto electrician and installed a relay and upgraded the wiring, plus I have an upgraded fuse rail too.

kbrk3p.jpg

2uo313a.jpg

Last edited:

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Plus anything about 4300k means that the light is duller and less lumens.

I thought that 6000k was the best light as it's the brightest. That's why most HID kits are 6000k.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought that 6000k was the best light as it's the brightest. That's why most HID kits are 6000k.

Just one of many examples available here. Check the chart on the right of the page halfway down in this link;

HID / Xenon Conversion Kit :: Sigma Automotive

Otherwise this is the chart below copied from the linked page;

Color Temperature Lumen (±7%)
4,100 ~ 4,300 K.....2,800 ~ 3,200 lm
5,000 K.................2,700 lm
6,000 K.................2,600 lm
8,000 K.................2,000 lm

** K is colour temp and lm is Lumens (light output. The higher the lm number, the brighter and more light) **

Regards
Matt

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
Each to their own DUK13Y :) :)

An extract from the linked site that I posted above that I thought I would post for those that don't click the link.....very interesting reading.

HID capsules come in a variety of color temperature (as measured in Kelvin or K). The higher the K, the bluer the color tone. The higher the K, the dimmer the output. OEM HID capsules (ie: DOT-certified) are all in the 4,000 - 4,300K range - which is quite white. But most European vehicles have this special reflector to add a bluish / purplish color tone to the beam to make them appear like higher temperature than they actually are. For maximum visibility, night driving and function, choose the OE color of 4,000-ish K range. For looks and other 'cool' factors, choose 5,000 or 6,000K capsules. You should NEVER go higher than 6,000K unless it's for show use. For fog lamp use, choose yellow. See the right table for color temperature VS. output (in lumen) when using 35-watt HID ballast.