Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Glossary - Can we have one?

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
Hi All. I know a fair bit about cars, but mostly older technology's. Mostly because every car I have ever owned either used simple technology's or was no newer than 1997.

Now I own a 2006 VZ Calais and I am desperately trying to learn the jargon.

While trying to learn something, I find I also have to learn many other things along the way. Many of them are just acronyms. (i.e. MAF = Mass Air Flow)

It would be awesome if when a person makes a post, and assuming they have correctly spelled the word or Acronym that the word they have just typed automatically became a link to the Forums own glossary.

I have never ran my own forum, but I understand that vBulletin while highly flexible still has some boundaries. So perhaps its not possible.

I'm a storm chaser (by hobby) and I regularly attend Meteorological themed forums such as "www.weatherzone.com.au" Weatherzone uses Ubb Threads, I assume its something similar to vBulletin in terms of source code so to speak.

In that Forum the above is exactly what happens. However you can alternatively navigate to the Glossary where it is alphabetically sorted and search it too. Check it out here: Weather Glossary

What got me starting this thread was when I was reading a thread on MAFless tuning and someone said it might be illegal because it does not meet "ADR" specs. The Acronym I would have liked to have found in a Glossary would have been "ADR"

So check out the above link for Wetherzones Glossary and see if you would like something the same for JC. It sure would be a powerful tool for newbie's, or oldies, who are trying to catch up, like me ;)

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
@Gopher that is indeed very similar, but would be great if it could be constantly updated / amended but that's a good start. Did you check out the one at Weatherzone? Not that it makes much difference so long as it can be updated regularly by moderators etc. Either way, ill be book marking the page you linked me to, so thanks for that ;)

@Zeuss I'm not sure weather you mean that you think I need to write script to access the glossary or to create a Glossary.

I'm crappy at any and all kinds of scripting, So there's no way I can create one and even if I could, I'm sure the powers that be within JC wont be letting me play around with their Hosted files and source code / script. However, if you mean just to access the glossary I assure you I need not do any script to access and use: Weather Glossary

Cheers ;)

Last edited:

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
lol 06Calais, I am too in the same basket as you with my limited computer knowledge/script writing ability, :rofl2: Basically have no idea! :p

I ment its easier just to google the term/acronym you need at the time, rather than someone needing to write the script (maybe wrong word?!) to make the links to the glossary page come up, in every post, for every acronym automatically.

I've had to do it quite a few times, more so for the general computer lingo, rather than the car related stuff..!