Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gluing door rubbers

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hi everyone, what's the best glue to use to re-attach door rubbers to the plastic sill down the bottom?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I used Kwik Grip. I think that is what they used from the factory.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Super Glue,name brand like 3M,is the best,less messy and loves artificial rubber.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Get the Gel glue, no runs make sure to remove or dirt and grease with Metho.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Contact cement.
Not the water based one.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Something like this..

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    301.5 KB · Views: 259

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I’ve found the Loctite one from Repco is the best and I’ve used plenty for a long time.
Simply stick the nozzle onto the slot and squeeze the cement in all the way into the beading from start to the end, then push it on at the start and work it right around to the end.
When done hit it hard to make sure it’s right in with a rubber mallet or you fist.
Work fast though and keep well ahead of the glue going off.

Last edited:

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess the contact cement is the traditional remedy and the superglue is a more modern approach. I do have some high quality thick superglue in the workshop which I might try for a small section before I go out to my local (Autobarn) to look for the Loctite or similar. I gather from Gossie's instructions that glue was only applied to the bed and the rubber pressed into position while the glue is still wet?

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess the contact cement is the traditional remedy and the superglue is a more modern approach. I do have some high quality thick superglue in the workshop which I might try for a small section before I go out to my local (Autobarn) to look for the Loctite or similar. I gather from Gossie's instructions that glue was only applied to the bed and the rubber pressed into position while the glue is still wet?

That's a very diplomatic reply Rob.,LOL,i was in the used car trade for a while and Super Glue was a godsend for trim seals,knobs etc,saved a lot of drama and cleanup compared to the old types and was neater/cleaner end result.
Just my opinion from experience but the modern contact cements are a lot better than the old formula's like Bostik or Tarzan's etc.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Don't use Cyanoacrylate, probably "super glue to you. You will have no control of it, and it won't hold on like the good contact cement.
Do as I suggested, get that Loctite INTO the groove and get it on quickly and hit it so it's in good contact.