Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM backing down on their 10 year support promise

benny66

Benno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY14 Calais V ZB MY18 Calais V
US car giant General Motors is offering Holden dealers car servicing contracts for only five years following the shutdown of the iconic brand
However, the company previously told the public it will provide customers with technical support for “at least 10 years"
It seems GM are wanting to wash their hands of their problems as soon as possible.
With the inevitable recession looming in Australia due to the coronavirus I think the days of the whole dealer network will be short.
It makes the value of near new Holden's even less in terms of resale. Also who will support the warranty in the last 2 years of the current 7 year warranties being offered if GM won't support the dealer network.

https://m.drive.com.au/news/exclusi...0-years-as-promised-to-the-public-123389.html

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Can't give zBs away ATM this is a bad end

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
No surprise here at all.

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
Just the usual bulshit reporting and anonymous statement by an understandably sour dealer. It stands to reason that new contracts would be made to reflect the fact dealers would become service agents if they wish. It would also be highly unlikely a 10 year contract would be offered or even accepted by either party. As time goes on it will not be feasible for dealers to stay as service agents as customer retention has never been great for Holden. I think a 5 year contract may be a stretch for some dealers but if Holden offered say a 2 year renewable contract it would cause a media frenzy and even less trust they will stay here for the previously stated 10 years. I believe service centre numbers will dwindle year on year until there are only a couple of regional centres in each state.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.. we have federal consumer legislation which states that auto makers
must provide servicing and parts support for a MINIMUM of 10 years after
any model of theirs ceases sale...

GM must provide genuine parts.. but can get anyone (UltraTune etc) to do the
genuine sevicing/techline warranty and recall stuff

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Welcome to the (ever shrinking) world of General Motors...

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
.. we have federal consumer legislation which states that auto makers
must provide servicing and parts support for a MINIMUM of 10 years after
any model of theirs ceases sale...

GM must provide genuine parts.. but can get anyone (UltraTune etc) to do the
genuine sevicing/techline warranty and recall stuff

I don't believe legislation prescribes a specific time other than for a reasonable period. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Also, even if they flout legislation, what chance the ACCC or anyone else winning a case against a foreign domiciled corporate bearing in mind there will not be an Australian entity to go after......I say buckley's and none.

VertAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 ZB Commodore 2.0T
My warranty is only till Feb 2024 here, feel bad for those that got the 7 year warranty.

Not too worried after the warranty period. Shares lots of mechanical parts with the opel insignia, chevy malibu and buick regal so availability shouldn't be an issue.

Also makes no sense to offer 10 year contracts. If all the dealers signed up with a dwindling population of Holdens they'd have no work by the end of the 10 year contracts..

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Just the usual bulshit reporting and anonymous statement by an understandably sour dealer. It stands to reason that new contracts would be made to reflect the fact dealers would become service agents if they wish. It would also be highly unlikely a 10 year contract would be offered or even accepted by either party. As time goes on it will not be feasible for dealers to stay as service agents as customer retention has never been great for Holden. I think a 5 year contract may be a stretch for some dealers but if Holden offered say a 2 year renewable contract it would cause a media frenzy and even less trust they will stay here for the previously stated 10 years. I believe service centre numbers will dwindle year on year until there are only a couple of regional centres in each state.
I beleive Dealer franchise agreements were always offered for a maximum 5 year period... agree this is a beat up..

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
I beleive Dealer franchise agreements were always offered for a maximum 5 year period... agree this is a beat up..
It is a Josh Dowling “Exclusive”...you expected better?