Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM CEO Rick Wagoner Sacked by Obama Administration!!!

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Scary times when governments head large multi national companies.

This recession almost feels force fed by the governments. Almost like a way to gain control of the masses again.

Absolutely! I guess the government figures it has the right in view of the massive bail outs. who'd be a CEO in the States at present, particularly if your company was going pear shaped and you had your hand out.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Absolutely! I guess the government figures it has the right in view of the massive bail outs. who'd be a CEO in the States at present, particularly if your company was going pear shaped and you had your hand out.

Rick Wagoner was paid $11 million in bonuses in shares etc., which are now only worth about $900,000.

So in a way I guess he was hurting along with the company.

Be interesting to see who the new man for the job is.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Kevin Rudd has probably said he will do it.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Reaper, thats not what the left want to hear :p

The Democrats and Rudd keep wanting to blame all those capitalist pigs out there for the GFC, rather than looking where it all started - with an ideological brainwave from the Democrats.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Reaper that was an excellent read and actually made sense, so ultimately it was the decision to give people who couldn't afford to pay back the money loans which started this whole mess... surprised me, I would have suspected the oil the way it's all I ever hear about. I'm too young now in that I didn't understand what was happening at the time.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Reaper that was an excellent read and actually made sense, so ultimately it was the decision to give people who couldn't afford to pay back the money loans which started this whole mess... surprised me, I would have suspected the oil the way it's all I ever hear about. I'm too young now in that I didn't understand what was happening at the time.

Pretty much. That sort of stuff could not and would not happen in Australia due to our banking system. Low Doc loans do exist here and there is no doubt many people who should not be given loans get money however our banks liquidity levels (ie cash vs loans) are mandated to be far more conservative than most of the rest of the developed world.

Reaper

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Reaper, thats not what the left want to hear :p

The Democrats and Rudd keep wanting to blame all those capitalist pigs out there for the GFC, rather than looking where it all started - with an ideological brainwave from the Democrats.

Both the law makers, and the people who capitalised on the situation deserve to held to account for where we are now.

It's a perfectly valid point that greed severely escalated the situation, even if it wasn't the sole factor.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Greed hardly escalated the situation, what escalated it was government legally making it so money could be lent to those who cannot afford it.

What idiot would seriously lend money to people knowing full well it cant be repaid? Governments have alot to answer for in the US.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
It goes back over a decade to Bill Clinton. In between sessions of polishing his presidential knob, he had a great idea - give home loans to the minorities and poor so they can also live the American dream. George W tried to fix it a couple of years back but he was so far on the nose that even his own party thwarted his efforts (apparently).

So the lowdoc/nodoc loan proliferated. Unfortunately most of these people did not have loans previously for a reason (they had no hope of paying them back). The logic was that the cost of land would continue to increase and thus after a very short time, the banks would be covered for those loans that defaulted.

Many of these banks then on-sold the debt to other banks (mixed with a spattering of not so toxic debt) very much down playing any risk (afterall the cost of land never goes down does it?). Further more, some smart investors realized what was going on and started short selling the banks who were buying these "assets". More about this in a min.

Now, come mid 2007 and the American economy starts slowing and the housing market becomes depressed. All of a sudden many homes that should have been gaining in value were actually going backwards. Because of the slowing economy many were loosing their jobs and couldn't pay the mortgage. Further, many found their homes were now worth way less than they owed. Most American mortgages have a curious clause in the fine print that says that if the consumer can't pay the mortgage, they can simply return the house to the bank and be absolved of their debt (it becomes the banks problem to sell it and recover their money). The UK had a similar system till they had the same problem in the early 90's and changed to a system more similar to Aus where the bank can auction your house but if they don't recover all the money owed, the consumer is still liable for the balance.

Anyhoo - The term "Jingle Mail" comes from americans posting in the keys to their houses to absolve them of the debt. A few thousand at a time would have been a problem but nothing dramatic. A few hundred thousand was a major disaster. All of a sudden the banks had thousands upon thousands of assets with a book value of (say) $100,000 each but in reality were worthless. American banks went from a situation where there was a mild oversupply of houses to a huge oversupply as the keys rolled in. Property values collapsed.

Now, back to the "smart" investors who picked what was going to happen. These guys were shorting the banks such as Lehmen Brothers and Meryl Lynch (and many others), in effect betting that these loans were going to go bad. Then, when they did, for a relatively small investment (say $10,000) they profited several hundred thousand, thus multipying the effect of any and all bad loans to a level the world has never seen before.

Next, all these bad loans had been bought by banks all over the world (much like insurance underwriters do with insurance contracts) and put simply banks didn't know who they can trust any more. The entire wholesale money market shut up shop overnight. Put simply, banks didn't trust each other and they did (what every body else did) and pull their money out of international equities etc and held as much cash as possible, thus the wholesale drop in share markets around the world.

All of these factors have a snowball effect, what starts out as a small or moderate problem gets bigger and bigger as panic sets in. Now the world has a mess to clean up.

Reaper

Thats the best explanation for this crisis I have seen, so is it Reaper for PM?, you would have my vote :thumbsup: