Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM give up HOLDEN ?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
"There is a very big exercise in sitting down with Holden and making sure that they accept their responsibilities to their own workforce," Mr Weatherill said.

"Those responsibilities travel further than just simply paying a redundancy payment."

This line annoys me so much.

What responsibility does Holden have to its workers? Its given them more then generous wages. Given them an extremely generous redundancy package. Given them 4 years warning to look for a new job.

If I get the axe from my job I have 4 weeks notice and goodbye good luck.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
This line annoys me so much.

What responsibility does Holden have to its workers? Its given them more then generous wages. Given them an extremely generous redundancy package. Given them 4 years warning to look for a new job.

If I get the axe from my job I have 4 weeks notice and goodbye good luck.

I agree, GM should just pack up and leave - this country treats them with disrespect on so many levels.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Last edited:

PROBLEM?

umadbro?
Reaction score
Members Ride
commo
who cares,it keeps jobs and keeps it in aus!screw gm they're just destroying the brand anyway!

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
As long as there is a V8 and V6 rear wheel drive option, i don't care who owns it just as long as it's made here.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
As long as there is a V8 and V6 rear wheel drive option, i don't who owns it just as long as it's made here.

Sorry old son, but I think you need a reality check.

V8? No way
V6? Unlikely unless it was a more refined, smaller capacity and more economical engine than the present one.
RWD? even less chance than a V8.

Think about it. If making V6 and V8 Rear wheel Drive vehicles was profitable in Australia, why would Holden be ceasing production?

Better start looking elsewhere for your dream car.....

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Sorry old son, but I think you need a reality check.

V8? No way
V6? Unlikely unless it was a more refined, smaller capacity and more economical engine than the present one.
RWD? even less chance than a V8.

Think about it. If making V6 and V8 Rear wheel Drive vehicles was profitable in Australia, why would Holden be ceasing production?

Better start looking elsewhere for your dream car.....

It's not just about being profitable. Sadly it's significantly more profitable to make such things off shore.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It's not just about being profitable. Sadly it's significantly more profitable to make such things off shore.

Yeah, that's true. I'm just surprised that members on this forum seem so unable to grasp exactly why Holden is abandoning local production.

They make the wrong cars for today's market, guys. Less and less buyers want large sedans, and most don't give a stuff which wheels drive the car. There are so few buyers for large local cars these days that Holden and Ford and losing money on every car they build. Discounting, to keep sales numbers up, simply makes a bad situation worse.

I wish it was otherwise too, but sadly, it isn't.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Yeah, that's true. I'm just surprised that members on this forum seem so unable to grasp exactly why Holden is abandoning local production.

They make the wrong cars for today's market, guys. Less and less buyers want large sedans, and most don't give a stuff which wheels drive the car. There are so few buyers for large local cars these days that Holden and Ford and losing money on every car they build. Discounting, to keep sales numbers up, simply makes a bad situation worse.

I wish it was otherwise too, but sadly, it isn't.

actually big 6 and 8 cyl vehicles are profitable it's that GM couldn't shift away from that being the core of the business.

The core needs to be smaller vehicles and the large car sits in another market segment.

BMW and Mercedes can do it, so....

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
actually big 6 and 8 cyl vehicles are profitable it's that GM couldn't shift away from that being the core of the business.

The core needs to be smaller vehicles and the large car sits in another market segment.

BMW and Mercedes can do it, so....

They are only profitable if they sell in sufficient numbers. They don't anymore and probably never will again.

Mercedes and BMW enjoy a very different position within our market, because of quality, engineering, perceived value, retained value, snob appeal, the fact that they have huge export markets and enjoy economies of scale that Ford and Holden can only dream of.....unfortunately, none of our locals posses those attributes.