Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM Holden Launches Dual-Fuel Commodore

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
The success of Australia’s most popular car range will be enhanced with the launch of a dual-fuel Commodore, featuring a newly-developed version of GM Holden’s 3.6 litre Alloytec V6. The engine is modified to run on petrol and LPG, using new valves and hardened valve seats designed for harsher LPG operating conditions.

Based on the Executive variant, the LPG-powered Commodore uses a high-tech system called Sequential Vapour Gas Injection (SVGI), which injects gas directly into the air intake runner, eliminating excess gas circulating through the air intake system.

The system gains further efficiencies by mimicking the petrol injection sequence, which allowed engineers to achieve power and torque figures close to theoretical LPG maximum efficiencies. Like the petrol-only Executive, power is 175kW @ 6000 rpm with 320 Nm of torque @ 2800 rpm.

Consistent with GM Holden’s efficient Alloytec engines, the dual-fuel Executive meets Euro 2 emission standards. LPG fuel economy is 14.4 litres/100km (sedan) and 14.8 litres/100km (wagon). Petrol fuel economy figures remain unchanged at 11.1 litres/100km (sedan) and 11.3 litres/100km (wagon).

Significant development work was undertaken to ensure a seamless transition from petrol to LPG while driving, with no discernable power difference. The LPG system uses petrol on start up, then automatically transfers to LPG, if selected, once the engine has warmed up.

Another advantage of the gas-powered Commodore is one fuel filling point – the gas outlet is located above the petrol cap behind the fuel filler door.

The system is also easy to service and maintain. In addition to GM Holden’s standard maintenance schedule, the dual-fuel system requires an LPG-system service only every 15,000kms, which involves changing two filters and a leak check.

GM Holden National Fleet Manager Simon Carr said the appeal of LPG-powered vehicles is increasing due to LPG’s compliance with all current and future emissions regulations, and the comparatively low cost of LPG.

“There’s more and more interest in LPG vehicles due to the increased cost of petrol.” he said.

“GM Holden’s sophisticated SVGI system produces the same driving characteristics as the petrol-only Commodore and it also has the cost advantage of the cheaper fuel source.”

The dual-fuel VZ Commodore Executive is priced at $37,550 for the sedan and $40,660 for the wagon.

Production of the LPG-powered Commodore begins in October, with GM Holden dealers taking orders from today.

Source: Holden Media Web Site.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
warms up on fuel then flicks to lpg?

so either way you still need to put that $20 in each week. but on the flip side lpg in perth is hovering about 40c a litre so $20 a week on unleaded is still a notable saving.

very nice.

Jesk

registered lunatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 ef2 fairmont
yeah sounds pretty good cos the petrol price is a real killer, even though the price is hardly the retailers fault its about like this

Attachments

• pumps.jpg
    pumps.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 317

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Well the ACCC are aparntly investigation why the price of petrol doesnt go up and down with the price of oil, they reckon that the fuel companys are also taking advantage of this.

czerwonyVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 3.8 A4
Patrio7 said:
warms up on fuel then flicks to lpg?

so either way you still need to put that $20 in each week. but on the flip side lpg in perth is hovering about 40c a litre so $20 a week on unleaded is still a notable saving.

very nice.
my parents have an LPG setup like this. it uses so little petrol its not funny. its on petrol for 30 seconds at most.

Jesk

registered lunatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 ef2 fairmont
adox said:
Well the ACCC are aparntly investigation why the price of petrol doesnt go up and down with the price of oil, they reckon that the fuel companys are also taking advantage of this.

i know its certianly not at a site level, cos if seen times where the servo i work at got the juice in at 128.1 cpl and was being sold at 128.9 cpl and considering all the discount vouchers we really dont make our profits on the petrol, oh yeah about time the ACCC investigated this cos the refining companies have increased their profit margin from $7 per barrel 2 months ago to $17 per barrel now, thats criminal plain and simple

P

packet_pumper

Anyone know the LPG Fuel tanks capacity of this new Commodore? I also presume the petrol tank is the same size as standard commodore(if not what is the capacity)? Interested to know if ifholden reduced the petrol tank size to accomodate the additional LPG tank? I'm trying to figure out the range of this car as I'd hate to be fueling up twice as many times if the capacity of the LPG tank is low.
Also, if you wanted to take this car on a road trip through the outback I presume LPG stations maybe rare thus can the car run in "petrol mode only" or must you always have petrol+LPG available for the car to work? I'd hope the car could run purely on petrol from a flexability perspective so if I was on a road trip then I don't need to plan fuel stops via every town with LPG fueling stations.

thanks

Mike Anderson

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Excellent, I thought if Holden were on the ball something like this would be comming, I'll expect an LPG powered turbo V6 in the VE then they will be ok while oil prices stay high