Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM is considering making Commies in US

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
According to Autocar magazine, a plan is under serious consideration by GM for a rear-wheel-drive V8 sports saloon to be developed and built in North America to replace the Commodore, which is sold there as a Chevrolet SS.
If the business case stacks up, the new-generation SS would be exported to Australia, where it would be pressed into service by both Holden and Holden Special Vehicles, which creates the VXR8.

Senior GM engineer Dave Leone said affordable rear-drive performance cars would remain part of GM’s product portfolio beyond the Aussie Holden’s demise.
“If you are a performance enthusiast, then rear-wheel drive is the way to go and that’s the part of the rear-drive [GM] Alpha platform will play,” Leone said.
GM announced it would stop making vehicles in Australia and New Zealand by the end of 2017 late last year, citing high costs and a poor supply chain as the reasons behind its decision, which puts an end to 70 years of Holden vehicle manufacturing in the company.
Toyota has also announced it will be pulling out of Australia by the start of 2017, leaving the country with no local vehicle production. Like GM, Toyota will instead move to become a vehicle importer in the country.
If a green light is given, the new model will be developed and built in North America, with Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) possibly creating its own variant as it does now with the Australian-made Commodore.
Senior GM engineer Dave Leone confirmed that the Detroit carmaker is interested in continuing the series beyond Holden's manufacturing closure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
If it happens, it will be interesting to see how its priced compared to now.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I'd expect it to be on par with the Chrysler 300C, i.e. $40-50k.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Would an ssv redline attract a lvt?

No doubt they'd make a mess of it with 4 liter paint can cup holders and front seats peter griffin would find roomy.

Let it go down on a high note with the vf been the best/fastest/efficient commodore every built and be done with it, plenty of other gm cars that could be imported to this country.

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
^^^As long as it doesn't look like them,might be a promising development!

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Last I heard it was going to be a Commodore based on a Cadillac , but built in China or Korea . I just hope it remains a rear drive vehicle , not too concerned who builds it , Korean build quality has come leaps and bounds over the years .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Last I heard it was going to be a Commodore based on a Cadillac , but built in China or Korea .

I think GM has two horses running in this race. I am not interested in the sorry nag from China (no form, shiny plastic full of MSG more of GM's cheap Asian crap), but a US thoroughbred in Holden livery definitely has legs.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think GM has two horses running in this race. I am not interested in the sorry nag from China (no form, we have most of GM's cheap Asian crap), but a US thoroughbred in Holden livery has legs.

Maybe , but I've edited my original post , Korean cars aren't that bad , but a Chinese one ?? Yeah nah . On a side note GM , shut up shop on assembly in NZ , in 1989 / 90, I believe , the last models assembled were the VN 's and for some inexplicable reason they had the 2.0 litre from the VL , the Buick V6 was imported from Australia , sold much better , reading through the history .

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
As far as quality, it doesn't matter where it's built.

GM is GM. As long as the parent company has control of the process / QC / parts, then it makes no difference.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
As far as quality, it doesn't matter where it's built.

GM is GM. As long as the parent company has control of the process / QC / parts, then it makes no difference.

That doesn't really instil much confidence ; )