Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM Tech 2 - Captiva engine light is ON

commodolores

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
I have orange engine light came ON yesterday but car is driving as usual. Friend of mine just bought Tech 2 but never used. I need someone to guide me step by step how to use it and to check why is that light ON and how to turn it OFF. So simple step by step in writing will do ! Thank you

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You need to select diagnostics, select year of vehicle, select captiva. (My tech2 shows two different types of captiva in the years 2006 through to 2010- captiva long body and captiva short body, not sure which is yours or if it makes any difference) but anyway, select vehicle, and select DTC info and this should give you a list of error codes and the option to clear them(after you've written them down)... You may also need to use the CANdi interface module on some of these models..

Last edited:

commodolores

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Thank you Brett,also where I can find "Adventra" and "cross 8 "as it is not shown on car list....there is so many models but no Adventra or cross 8 ?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Don't know very much at all about Adventras, and as you've said, its not mentioned in the list of vehicles on the tech2. Im sure I heard someone mention that theyre just based on a commodore?? If this is the case, just select whatever model commodore the Adventra is based on and see what happens, see if it works.
How'd you go with the captiva?

commodolores

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
will check captiva tomorrow morning. with those codes : are they just like numbers or it will tell me what is wrong.....if codes are as numbers how will I know what codes is for what problem...I hope you know what I mean ? also you mention to write codes down;why I need to write them....sorry but first time using tech 2 (tomorrow)...thnx

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Write any codes down so you can post them up here to find out what they mean..The codes show up on the scantool as a number. For example - code P0134 means right side oxygen sensor has no signal. This basically means the right oxygen sensor may be faulty, but it could also just be a bad/faulty sensor wiring connector causing the computer to log the code.

commodolores

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
oh,ok....I'll do that tomorrow and will let you know....so should I clear them soon after I do test with Tech 2 or I need to fix something before clear those errors ?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah, once you've recorded any codes, you can clear them, they also get stored in the code history, which can also be accessed and cleared with the tech2.. Sometimes it'll just "glitch" and just log a code for no reason too, seen this happen a few times..Clear them and they just don't come back.