Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM TECH 2 Vetronix scanner & Genuine software GM

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Its still available i Wont be online again till 10 am tomorrow singing off

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Hey guys,

so I'm doing the research into these things and wallah - a google search brings up a JC topic :blah blah:

So I figure perhaps you guys are the best to talk too as some of you seem to be right across it.

What is the latest software, is it 143?

And my bigger concern is does anyone know if thing will work with a 2011 VE Series II SS?
Various sellers / supplies both ebay and other say different things from yes it will, to yes it will but its limited, to no it wont.
I just need a straight answer so I know

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well that all depends on what you plan to use it for the latest software works up.to 2012 ve at this point in time the only limitations you will have on the device will be when it comes to the security side of things i have been told that you need access to the holden servers to access those features but if your only going to be clearing codes and and airbag issues when you Wont have any issues

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
A Ghost said, depends what your wanting the device for?
Looking up codes/clearing codes is fine. But updating software versions or advanced features like that will require security access and direct connection through TIS2web.

So you will want holden card v142 or v143 to deal with the newer holden models.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Thanks guys.

mostly for reading and clearing fault codes like stupid srs faults after forgetting to plug an air bag in :-0

Where does programming keys fit into it? Is this a security setting or something that could be done through the tech 2? just trying to establish its limits before we pitch in to buy one.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Hey guys I have another question

So I'm looking at 2 sellers with these units.
One is selling a Ver 140 and the kit, which includes a "CANdi" module. He tells me this is everything to suit a 2011 VE II.
The other blokes doesn't have that CANdi module, but does have Ver 143 and tells me it works with the VE II.

I'm told the CANdi or Tech2flash is just an adapter to convert the OBD socket on the tech 2 to suit older cars ie OBD1 etc and is a waste of money for someone like us who just want to use it on VY or newer.

So what's the go? Are we better off with the older software but this module or are we better off with the newer software that doesn't include this module?

I'm confused that's all !!!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Dont know who told you that, but software version 140 will work on 2012 model VE's. I have software version 140 here, and the card has all commodores listed on it, from 1997 VT models, right through to 2012 VE model commodores and statesmans etc. The card also has most australian holden vehicles listed there too..
You will need the CANdi module if you want to use your tech 2 to diagnose a vehicle that uses the CAN type diagnostic protocol. The tech 2 is too old to be able to natively read the newer CAN diag protocols, it needs the CANdi module to convert the signal from CAN to OBD11..
GM did the exact same thing with the tech 1 scantool years back when OBD11 first came out, the tech1 needed an OBD11 interface module to communicate with the new-at-the-time OBD11 protocols..Then they released the tech 2 which could read
OBD11 natively.
From 2013, holden are using the MDI interface module with tech2win running on a laptop. There will be no more tech 2 software updates for holden australia vehicles from 2013 and onwards..

Last edited:

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
ok cool thanks for letting me know Brett. I'm just going off what these guys selling them are telling me (I think some are overseas despite saying there in Aus)
Cheers for clearing it up!

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
ok cool thanks for letting me know Brett. I'm just going off what these guys selling them are telling me (I think some are overseas despite saying there in Aus)
Cheers for clearing it up!

Be careful on buying from people on ebay or random sites. Need to make sure you know what your getting and whether it has all the components you need.
I would avoid ebay since many people dont actually know anything about the device and will say anything to sell it off.. such as "free TIS access" which is a load of shiiiiiit.. they just give the standard disc which doesnt have anything useful for the tech2.

Im currently using holden card v142 which has all the modern commodores + other holden cars. Works great. I havent used v143 although was told its not worth obtaining due to the "security" is increased and requires bcm security key for more basic functions. (annoying since most people dont have)

As for the key programming, yes that is all done using the tech2 and a fresh key (that has been cut) which you then put in the bcm security code and the tech2 does the rest! Easy as.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Brett_jjj should be able to hook you up with what you need he knows the kits and sites well enough