Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM to pull the plug on Pontiac

travs_g8gt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Well it is a done deal. Pontiac is officially killed off in the USA. Imports of the G8 will be stopped as well. According to the CEO of GM, Holden imports of the Commodore will be ceased with no switchover to a different brand like Chevrolet. :(

I'm glad I got my G8 GT when I did, even though I have an orphaned car now. The last V8!!!!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
What do you guys think of this from today press conference

"In something of a small surprise, and not a good one for enthusiasts, Henderson said the Pontiac G8, a powerful Corvette-engined sedan built by GM's Holden division in Australia and sold at US Pontiac dealers since last year, would be discontinued entirely, both in the US and Australia"

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
So basically they're going to shitcan the Commodore? They better bloody not!!!!!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Nah I don't think so, but who knows. They can if they want to. Holden don't make a profit anymore so they could easily turn it into a Daewoo import company (almost is now)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8

"In something of a small surprise, and not a good one for enthusiasts, Henderson said the Pontiac G8, a powerful Corvette-engined sedan built by GM's Holden division in Australia and sold at US Pontiac dealers since last year, would be discontinued entirely, both in the US and Australia"

That almost says the VF Commodore may get the can too.......

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7

Wow, that doesn't sound too good. What's your source for this quote?

I too am concerned about the implications of this for our Commodore. Oh well, at least I got my VE before they became extinct. :yeah:

....The thing is everyone admits they are a great car, so why GM, WHY?

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
After the VF Commodore lives its life cycle, the replacement that is currently on the consideration list is a long-wheel base version of the upcoming Alpha rear-wheel drive platform. This is where the Impala comes in. If the plan is approved, the VG Commodore would spawn a new Impala for North America. hold onto your vg utes people they are gonna be new cars again soon

Mike08

No Back seat drivers
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
In this current economic climate the VE could well be the last Commodore for a long time.

Who knows, i hope it is not.

Cheers.