Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM ...... unbelievable !

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Originally I was hopeful that Holden would survive the GM bloodletting after Pontiac died because the company was the international centre of GM's RWD development.

That was only a few years ago. 2013 killed that expectation but I still wanted Holden to survive because of its Aussie heritage. It just seems so obvious now that GM doesn't really care about the brand and I can see it following Pontiac because once the GM/Opel ZB design has run its course, the obvious replacement will be a Chev model designed in the States and built in Korea or Thailand ala Cruze.

And it won't be called a Holden.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
To be expected really, after all this is GM v2.0, NGMCO Inc ("New GM").

I remember how GM v1.0 ("Old GM") filed for Chapter 11 protection in 2008 and using due process threw all their shareholders and, more importantly, the retired workers' with pensions under the bus.

I swore off buying GM products at that time and only relented this year, due to it being my last chance to buy a new "true blue, dinky-di" Holden (assembled in Australia, but "made with local and imported ingredients" from all over the place).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wonder what will happen to the price of spare parts now. Cars that are not made in Aust have a much higher price on parts compared to a car that has some sort of Australian alliance.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I am more concerned about the availability of spare parts. With most supporting suppliers for Ford, Toyota, and Holden without a customer, will sourcing what was readily available bits and pieces be Mission Impossible in 10 years time.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't think it's going to be a huge issue, there are literally millions of Commodores/variants out there so part supply will be plentiful from the aftermarket. Getting NOS bits on the other hand will get a lot more difficult.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
GM could put the brand up for sale, if so JC members should all chip in and run it as they please lol.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
future.png
I wonder how much they will get for the Elizabeth plant.

I was speaking to one of the guys from my Holden Dealer at the gym during the week , and apparently the new owners of the plant have nothing to do with car manufacturing .
It'll be a sad week for the remaining workers . Hope they remember to leave the key under the mat and to switch the lights off .

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Somebody did try to by the rights to the Commodore but GM turned him down.