Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM ...... unbelievable !

Discussion in 'News/Updates' started by figjam, Oct 6, 2017.

1. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
  2. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    figjam likes this.
  3. Brettly-2008

Brettly-2008 Active Member

Members Ride:
    WM Statesman - VE SS Commodore
    You didn't find this bit even a little bit interesting:

“We’ve committed to introducing a rear-drive V8 into Australia, and I guess that’s as far as we can go.”

4. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    No not one bit interesting

5. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    They've been talking about this for some time.

Now we are getting the ~$90k Camaro. What's next ? A $130k Caddy ? A $200k Vette ?

All right hand drive converted here of course coz GM CBF engineering RHD.

6. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    Spot the deliberate mistakes and any similarities.

Bob Hawke ……… “by 1990, no Australian child will live in poverty”
    John Howard ....... “A GST or anything resembling it is no longer Coalition policy. Nor will it be policy at any time in the future. It is completely off the political agenda in Australia."
    Julia Gillard ………. “There will be no carbon tax under a government I lead but let me be perfectly clear, I will introduce a price on carbon and move on to an emissions trading scheme.”
    Holden …… “We haven’t committed to anything at this stage,” the spokesman said. “We’ve committed to introducing a rear-drive V8 into Australia, and I guess that’s as far as we can go.”

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  7. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Looks like a nice car though. Better than the Mazda6 at least ;)

8. Skydrol

Skydrol Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
  9. Brettly-2008

Brettly-2008 Active Member

Members Ride:
    WM Statesman - VE SS Commodore
    Well, technically Camaro is a HSV product yeah? so the above Holden quote shouldn't pertain to that car, nor Corvette for that matter, which would also be an HSV product surely. That leaves Cadillac, which I'm ok with.

10. Stroppy

Stroppy Member

Members Ride:
    VF Evoke Sportwagon
    All of us might want to note the latest sales figures for Holden in general which has seen the biggest sales slump since they started recording sales data in 1948. I had a feeling this would happen. Once the brand closed its local plants I really feel that the move made Australians lose confidence in Holden in general. The new Commodore is not selling all that well (go to your local dealer and express interest in buying one and you'll be wined and dined and offered all sorts of sweeteners to sign on the dotted line) and even pre-registering a swag load of Astras didn't help all that much either.

GM US have made a gross miscalculation. They thought they could kill the local factory without any repercussions from fans of the marque. They thought that offering us re-badged Opels and GM Korean and GM Mexico vehicles we'd all flock to the showrooms and buy their goodies. This was the "new model onslaught" that was meant to resurrect Holden's fortunes. Yeah...nah! All the closure has done is to make some Australians feel like GM US is showing us the middle finger after years of accepting lucrative government supplementation with taxpayer's dough.

Holden...the Holden we grew up with..."Australia's Own Car"...is dead. Simply whacking a badge onto a foreign car with double sided tape does not build trust in a very old and iconic brand. Let the mighty lion, its paw holding the rolling stone of progress, sleep now. It does not want to be on foreign cars...it wants to be on Australian cars. Call the company Chevrolet...anything but Holden.

If GM US was smart they'd hang on to the Elizabeth plant and just shutter it for now. The way things are going with Trump's trade wars I can see a time coming where manufacturing returns to the west under the umbrella of renewed protective tariffs. GM US could then make a grand statement about reviving the marque and start building cars here again. I've no doubt that had the decision to shut up shop NOT been made then Elizabeth would now be turning out Astras and Opel Insignias (which is what the new Commodore is) engineered for our conditions. This would have made the cars more attractive to Australian buyers.

It's interesting that Toyota are not selling their Altona plant...just shuttering it. It's one of their newest factories and represents a huge investment in this country. I have a feeling they are just waiting things out to see if another company starts making cars here, even if they are just assembled here from CKD packs.

11. Skydrol

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    Time will tell....

I think, one of the causes of killing local manufacturing are the so called Trade Partnerships. As far I know, is one the primary forces in the US. We are (the USA) to the point, that all we buy is made in China or some 3rd World "Cuntry" by "paid slave" labor. Labor is cheap, so why not, right?

12. Stroppy

Stroppy Member

Members Ride:
    VF Evoke Sportwagon
    Yes...I agree. Trade deals will help one part of the economy but hurt others. The FTA between Australia and Thailand is a good example. Farmers are doing well out of the deal but it helped kill our car manufacturing. Ford has a huge plant in Thailand and a lot of Ford product comes here from that plant. It arrives with no tariffs at all and yet if I tried to sell an Aussie-made care in Thailand it would be slapped with a 40% duty...go figure!

I look back at the 50s and 60s and I recall that EVERYTHING was made locally...from the socks on your feet to the tv you watched to the cars you drove. Yes...tariffs protected industries and prices were higher BUT everyone had work...work was plentiful and you didn't have huge numbers of unemployed folks and people living on welfare.

VS_Pete likes this.
  13. Skydrol

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    Does no good to have cheap merchandise when a lot of people are Unemployed or Employed and Underpaid.

Is like a Snake eating its own tail...

14. JMP

JMP Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VY 5.7 Berlina
    I said it before and will say it again, one of the main reasons people bought commodores was because it was aussie built, they took that away then took away the motor a lot of commodore owners wanted. They tried telling us what we wanted instead of listening to what we wanted. Pure arrogance from GM and they are now fighting against imports with imports.

VS_Pete likes this.