Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM ...... unbelievable !

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I believe it comes from the misconception that the LS motor is from Chev which is incorrect. The LS family of engines is GM and not tied to any one brand that GM owns.

Agree but try telling that to those who call them Chev motors. They think you're on crack and treat you as such.

The bigger problem is the knobs putting Chev badges on alloytec cars lol.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Agree but try telling that to those who call them Chev motors. They think you're on crack and treat you as such.

The bigger problem is the knobs putting Chev badges on alloytec cars lol.

Which brings us back to Bob Lutz’s comment on it being strange that people put Chevrolet badges on Holden, you may as well blame them for Holden’s demise, not true obviously but who’s to know

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I think the Chev badge BS incomes from the olden days of the 350 chev motor people had in their kings woods. And of course V8s were cool and so chev badges were cool etc etc

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Holden.JPG

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
GM Divisions had their own engines until late 70s and early 80s. Duringvthe 70s, the divisions suffered engine shortages and GM decided to install whaever was on hand. Costumers complained about why their Chevy had an Oldsmobile engine and Pontiacs with Chevy engines, etc... GM decided to make 1 powerplant of each kind. Odd is, the LS Engines looks more like Pontiac Engines. One way to identify a Pontiac V8 engine at a glance is by the Intake Manifold. Chevy engines are all 1 piece with the valley pan, Pontiac are separated.

The only division that still make its own engines is Cadillac.

Got the title backwards, is Car Guys vs Bean Counters. Anyway, this interview with Lutz on his own words, explain the insanity that happens behind doors at GM.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
GM Divisions had their own engines until late 70s and early 80s. Duringvthe 70s, the divisions suffered engine shortages and GM decided to install whaever was on hand. Costumers complained about why their Chevy had an Oldsmobile engine and Pontiacs with Chevy engines, etc... GM decided to make 1 powerplant of each kind. Odd is, the LS Engines looks more like Pontiac Engines. One way to identify a Pontiac V8 engine at a glance is by the Intake Manifold. Chevy engines are all 1 piece with the valley pan, Pontiac are separated.

The only division that still make its own engines is Cadillac.

Got the title backwards, is Car Guys vs Bean Counters. Anyway, this interview with Lutz on his own words, explain the insanity that happens behind doors at GM.

and Holden had a Buick engine VN- VY , before that a Nissan engine in the VL , and a Cadillac / Holden engine in the form of the Alloytec HFV6 , in fact the 3.6 V6 gets used in several GM models .

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
John Cadogan, and his 'Jihad on Bullshit' .......... you can love him or hate him, but I do enjoy his rants, and this one tells us just how much taxpayers money GM expected the Govt to tip in to save Holden for a few more years. Maybe we would have got the ZB Commodore manufactured here until about 2025, when it would have been time to re-arrange the deck chairs again.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
After watching Skydrol’s video about Bob Lutz, am I getting this right ?

GM was a huge corporation building the type of passenger cars the USA liked, in a very inefficient way, but making a profit.
The US Govt then mandated that these type of cars were not what should be built.
In response, GM then started building small shitboxes that nobody liked or wanted.
In the absence of ‘proper’ cars, people had no choice but to buy a shitbox, or a ginormous pick-up truck, which I understand is exempt from the rules that apply to US passenger cars.
Somewhere along the way, GM incrementally moved from being a car manufacturer, to a business whose primary objective was to make profit, and lots of it, regardless of the product being sold.
To make the required profit, GM has divested itself of ‘loss’ makers, and left market areas where the GM vehicles being built did not fit into their strategy.
So now, GM is a not so huge corporation building the type of vehicle that nobody likes, in a slightly more efficient way, but still making a profit from US Govt bailouts, and subsidies from various other foreign Govts.

May GM move in ever decreasing circles until they disappear up their own fundamental orifice.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I've been wondering how much earlier Holden would have folded if the GFC had occurred a few years earlier, when the VE was still being developed.

Given that the VE was originally to have been so critical to GM's world wide marketing, it would never have seen the light of day. As things eventuated, it actually did break into new markets and receive positive recognition. in doing so, it probably forestalled Holden closing down much sooner than happened.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
After watching Skydrol’s video about Bob Lutz, am I getting this right ?

GM was a huge corporation building the type of passenger cars the USA liked, in a very inefficient way, but making a profit.
The US Govt then mandated that these type of cars were not what should be built.
In response, GM then started building small shitboxes that nobody liked or wanted.
In the absence of ‘proper’ cars, people had no choice but to buy a shitbox, or a ginormous pick-up truck, which I understand is exempt from the rules that apply to US passenger cars.
Somewhere along the way, GM incrementally moved from being a car manufacturer, to a business whose primary objective was to make profit, and lots of it, regardless of the product being sold.
To make the required profit, GM has divested itself of ‘loss’ makers, and left market areas where the GM vehicles being built did not fit into their strategy.
So now, GM is a not so huge corporation building the type of vehicle that nobody likes, in a slightly more efficient way, but still making a profit from US Govt bailouts, and subsidies from various other foreign Govts.

May GM move in ever decreasing circles until they disappear up their own fundamental orifice.

You nailed it.

The regulations need to be revised in a big way. Cars are subject to a Gas Guzzler Tax. That is why the VE came with the L76 for the G8 GT version, G8 GXP with the LS3 had a $2,500 Gas Guzzler Tax. Back in the 70s, trucks were exempt of most of these regulations, including, laxed Emissions mandates. Manufacturers found a way out and erroded the Car market share. Trucks/SUVs became the family haulers that replaced the MiniVan and Station Wagons. If you look at it from the manufacturing stand point. It cost about the same to build a truck or a car. In the people's eyes, bigger is better and they are willing to pay more for a bigger vehicle.

Dodge produced some called the Lil' Red Express and here is why.

"Because of a loophole in the emissions regulations the 1978 Dodge Lil' Red Express Truck's did not have catalytic converters, what the Lil' Red Express did have was a special High Performance 360 C.I."

http://m.dodgeconnection.com/LilRedInfo.html

Beside car manufacturing.

Corporate USA veered to be a money making business. Yes, you need to make money to stay in business. But the focus has been changing solely in Proffits rather than Products for Proffit. Were I work, in the mission statement, has a pledge to the Share Holders. That tells to me, at all cost, we have to keep the stock prices climbing, regardless of what we fabricate.

GM should never got a bail out, should fold. I bet, that will shake things up. Perhaps, Holden would be an independent company on its own.

You have to notice, each time the Gov Co intervine is always for the worse.