Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM ...... unbelievable !

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Another media prophesy about the long anticipated V8 engined Holden Unicorn which is going to fill the performance gap.

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/1803/is-this-twin-turbo-v8-the-hero-engine-of-holdens-future

dreamin.jpg

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
You didn't find this bit even a little bit interesting:

“We’ve committed to introducing a rear-drive V8 into Australia, and I guess that’s as far as we can go.”

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
You didn't find this bit even a little bit interesting:

“We’ve committed to introducing a rear-drive V8 into Australia, and I guess that’s as far as we can go.”

They've been talking about this for some time.

Now we are getting the ~$90k Camaro. What's next ? A $130k Caddy ? A $200k Vette ?

All right hand drive converted here of course coz GM CBF engineering RHD.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Spot the deliberate mistakes and any similarities.

Bob Hawke ……… “by 1990, no Australian child will live in poverty”
John Howard ....... “A GST or anything resembling it is no longer Coalition policy. Nor will it be policy at any time in the future. It is completely off the political agenda in Australia."
Julia Gillard ………. “There will be no carbon tax under a government I lead but let me be perfectly clear, I will introduce a price on carbon and move on to an emissions trading scheme.”
Holden …… “We haven’t committed to anything at this stage,” the spokesman said. “We’ve committed to introducing a rear-drive V8 into Australia, and I guess that’s as far as we can go.”

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Looks like a nice car though. Better than the Mazda6 at least ;)

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
They've been talking about this for some time.

Now we are getting the ~$90k Camaro. What's next ? A $130k Caddy ? A $200k Vette ?

All right hand drive converted here of course coz GM CBF engineering RHD.

Well, technically Camaro is a HSV product yeah? so the above Holden quote shouldn't pertain to that car, nor Corvette for that matter, which would also be an HSV product surely. That leaves Cadillac, which I'm ok with.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
All of us might want to note the latest sales figures for Holden in general which has seen the biggest sales slump since they started recording sales data in 1948. I had a feeling this would happen. Once the brand closed its local plants I really feel that the move made Australians lose confidence in Holden in general. The new Commodore is not selling all that well (go to your local dealer and express interest in buying one and you'll be wined and dined and offered all sorts of sweeteners to sign on the dotted line) and even pre-registering a swag load of Astras didn't help all that much either.

GM US have made a gross miscalculation. They thought they could kill the local factory without any repercussions from fans of the marque. They thought that offering us re-badged Opels and GM Korean and GM Mexico vehicles we'd all flock to the showrooms and buy their goodies. This was the "new model onslaught" that was meant to resurrect Holden's fortunes. Yeah...nah! All the closure has done is to make some Australians feel like GM US is showing us the middle finger after years of accepting lucrative government supplementation with taxpayer's dough.

Holden...the Holden we grew up with..."Australia's Own Car"...is dead. Simply whacking a badge onto a foreign car with double sided tape does not build trust in a very old and iconic brand. Let the mighty lion, its paw holding the rolling stone of progress, sleep now. It does not want to be on foreign cars...it wants to be on Australian cars. Call the company Chevrolet...anything but Holden.

If GM US was smart they'd hang on to the Elizabeth plant and just shutter it for now. The way things are going with Trump's trade wars I can see a time coming where manufacturing returns to the west under the umbrella of renewed protective tariffs. GM US could then make a grand statement about reviving the marque and start building cars here again. I've no doubt that had the decision to shut up shop NOT been made then Elizabeth would now be turning out Astras and Opel Insignias (which is what the new Commodore is) engineered for our conditions. This would have made the cars more attractive to Australian buyers.

It's interesting that Toyota are not selling their Altona plant...just shuttering it. It's one of their newest factories and represents a huge investment in this country. I have a feeling they are just waiting things out to see if another company starts making cars here, even if they are just assembled here from CKD packs.