Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GMB water pump leaking again

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anyone having trouble with GMB pumps. I replaced one less than 20k old and now the one i fitted has failed in under 20k. Same problem again leaking. I now have to order a replacement when I get back home from camping. Not going GMB again. Gonna have to try a Gates i think.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
GMB have turned to crap since they moved offshore, but then again doesn't everything

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I'm thinking they must have VSLover. I've had older GMBs still going strong after 5 years. Mech up the road reckons GMB are good. But i think they have gone to **** now, both failed pumps have been the seal. Gonna see if i can email the seller and see if he will send a free replacement. But still if it goes again then its annoying to fit another, in 12 months time.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
I only buy Gates.....havnt had an issue......yet.....GMB,s leak when they run for a long time...if just a daily they are fine, but if your doing interstate runs they eventually leak from the seal

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I have done a fair few GMB pumps, only had one fail and it was on my own car with only about 5k. Leaked when sitting not running. I still rate them as a better brand and have the better impellers.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Are they still available genuine?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Are they still available genuine?
possibly but a Gates is under 50 bucks, gen would have to be 150 if they can be bought. Only way i am fitting another GMB is if the seller sends me a free replacement. I've used Duraflo and they lasted over five years and was still going when I scrapped the engine.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
I installed a Gates, ebay jobbie ($35 odd bucks) almost 4.5yrs now and touchwood not issues.