Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

God dammit!! Dizzy gear :(

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
Hey guys,

Just managed to accidentially knock the cap off the dizzy while trying to adjust the timing... ended up ****ing the gear... but instead of finding a gear missing a couple of teeth like I expected... I find... NO GEAR!

So... do we think this could be a bad thing, having that floating about inside the engine and all? I'm thinking so... but I know there's a few teeth floating about from the last time I did this... so maybe not?

Thoughts?

- Chris.

Outlaw Torn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 FORD EA Falcon (So sue me)
well, my VC did that, stripped the gears on the drive gear. didnt have any problems. just replaced the entire gear with a steel one. As for the whole gear itself... not sure, but i couldnt imagine it would be very healthy for the engine.

ENV5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec, VC SL/E V8, 2x Lada Nivas
it will be in your sump the oil pick up wont pick it up so you should be ok

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
As ENVS said. You'd need to take your sump off to get it out. Personally I wouldn't want it floating around but it shouldn't do any damage because the oil suction won't pick it up. You should be able to get a new gear as a spare part.

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
get a bronze dizzy gear (cam manufacturers advise against them but I've run em for years in a hot 202 without any dramas) as the nylon ones always strip teeth, you can fish the old one out of the sump by removing the timing cover and try fishing it out from the front using some wire or something, otherwise it wil sit fairly harmlessly in the bottom of the sump. Personally I'd leave it.

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
I've got an engine that'll be complete in the next few weeks ready to go in before the end of the year - solong as it's not doing any damage sitting down there and posing no significant rist it can stay the hell there.

As for the nylon v steel - last time the ignition mob advised the same. This time I'm gonna tell them what I want and to put it on regardless :)

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Why you would use a nylon gear is beyond me. OOops. I hope my gear is steel in my barge. I am sure it would be. :D

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Hi Guys,

If you want a cheap replacement gear for your dizzy, get an old 202 oil pump and remove the gear from that and fit it to your dizzy. It will never strip, never wear out.

The reason they originally run a nylon gear is as a safe guard against camshaft damage if the dizzy shaft locks for any reason. I have never had it happen.

cheers
Scott

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
The dizzy shop refused to put a metal one on :(

But for a $15 fix, I really can't complain eh?