Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Going Away for Long time - What to do with car?

opbatra2kn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 MY12
Folks,

I am going out of country for at least 3 months (possibly for longer)... I have 2012 Holden Commodore Sv6.... Is it ok for me to park for 3 months somewhere safe? or it can affect my car's health? any other suggestions on what can I do with my car to keep it healthy and save some bucks while I am away?

I am also considering to sell it (may be), but I don't want to lose lot of money. Any advice on reasonable price demand for 2012 Holden commodore Sv6 My12 While color (14,000KMs) would be appreciated. I think I bought it too expensive ($40K) :(

Cheers!

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Is there a friend or family member you would be comfortable lending it to while your gone? They could use it took keep running rather than have it sitting and you won't be losing any money on it.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
The VF just came out. So if you were going to sell it, you probably missed the boat. I would just keep it.

3 months probably isnt going to do a huge amount. You will come back to a flat battery and your brake rotors will probably have some surface rust. The only other thing I would be worried about are your tyres developing flat spots.

Even if you just had a family member or something to take it for a quick spin over the weekend it would be good.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
When I moved to Sydney last year I left my car with my parents until I found work here in Sydney, just on 10 months. Before storing it I gave it a service, pumped up the tyres and put a full tank of BP Ultimate in it, and got Mum to take it for a spin once a month. 3 months will be fine, especially if you can get someone to take the car around the block every once in a while.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
3 months isn't much to worry about, providing it's stored under cover, away from the elements
if you are really worried about the tyres, put it up on stands

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I doubt there would be any issue with the tyres, they are build to stand up to a lot worse conditions than just being parked in the garage for a couple of months !
I'd still get someone i trust who knows how to drive to take it for a short drive every few weeks if possible jut to keep to cobwebs off it etc. Go for a drive with that person before you leave so you can see if they are competant and so they get used to your car.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
the longest that I've left my VE was four weeks - no problems when I got back.
But, apparently, the VE drains the battery - eventually - and then you've got a problem.
If you look in the VE forum, there are a couple of horror stories - well, they put the wind up me, anyway.
The bottom line seems to be that when your battery goes flat, as it must, your key won't work - neither electronically, nor mechanically.
So, unless you left the bonnet open, you have a major problem re-electrifying the car.
Apparently, the least destructive method is to jack the car up - possibly on stands - and connect leads to your alternator or starter-motor.
Then your key works, and you can get in the front, and jump-start as normal.

Personally, I prefer the idea of a friend starting the car once a month.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
3 months isn't much to worry about, providing it's stored under cover, away from the elements
if you are really worried about the tyres, put it up on stands

This is the best advice so far , as an extra precaution you could disconnect the battery as well

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I'll be happy to look after it for you :)