Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

going on holidays what to do

scbh81

VRUUUM XU6 180 SC
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XU6 VTII 99
Hey guys,

I'm going on holidays for about 5 weeks and leaving the car at home. Is it ok to just leave it like that... Do i need to disconnect the battery or something. Does someone need to start it once in a while? Any help is appreciated.

Cheers
Sean

M

mrVT

for 5 weeks i wouldent really worry to much if u could get someone once a week to start it up for acouple of minutes will be good but i wouldent worry, as for taking battery out not a good idea cause if you do u cant lock ur car as the central locking will not work. I would just leave it as it is and if you have a battery charger just take out battery when u come back and give it a good charge but iam pretty sure will start no problems, hope that helps you!

Niper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 5.7 A4
5 weeks is not that long i would not worry about it and if it doesn't work when you come back just jump start it

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
Someone starting it everyweek would suffice, or Drive magazine on Friday in the Hun said you can buy something that keeps it going when someone wrote in that exact same question :)

Static89

I Am Ironman.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
If your going to lock it up and leave it, i suggest popping the bonnet before u leave, that way if it does die, u can get to the battery ;)

ACEMonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Acclaim S1
Probably wouldnt hurt to get a battery charger with floating and trickle charge capabilities and hook it up to your car.

Another I've seen is a solar charger that you can hook up to your car to give it top up charge during the day. These might do the trick for you if you're worried about your battery becoming flat in 5 weeks but as the others have said, 5 weeks isn't all that long. Just be sure your battery isn't already dying in the first place :)