Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Going solo to Thailand for a holiday , need advice or tips ! wil +rep good comments:)

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I went to Bali (sort of similar? SE Asia?) by myself. Had a blast (until I lost my credit card...). If going somewhere guides/drivers are cheap. Don't take the many offers of drugs you will get. Careful with jetskis and scooters; in fact w/ scooters coppers single out westerners in bali for 'shakedown'......if in touristy area avoid eye contact w/vendors hawking goods, once you acknowledge them they can be very persuasive. Most of the crap is counterfeit anyway. Some of it is hilarious. As a gag I got my folks a penis-shaped ashtray! If you can learn a bit of the lingo it helps. In Kuta/Legian everyone spoke english but I went into Denpasar to look at the museums/art galleries there...noone spoke english. Except for staff at museums of course.....

Check out the Visa situation by either the net or getting in touch with thai consulate etc......

Jonesy484

OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
go to a travel agent

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
I just got back from there a few weeks ago.
-As mentioned, stay away from jetski's, they will say you damaged it and try hit you up with a $3000AUD+ bill and threaten to have you arrested etc if you dont pay!
-Barter for EVERYTHING. Never pay the first price stated for anything, even entry to a club. lol
-And honestly, dont got to Bangkok. Its dirty, smelly and overpriced. Go further south to the Phuket/Patong/Surrounding areas. Its more touristy, and hence you'll get work in a bar etc easier as the bars love putting aussies on coz its a great talking point with fellow aussie customers (which there are heaps of) and even other nationality tourists as well. Its cheaper and nicer then Bangkok. If you are lucky enough to score a job on it, check out Koh Phi Phi Island etc. **** is even cheaper again and its a friggin gorgeous place to live!
-Get used to saying 'Mai' (pronounced kinda like 'May'). It means no. No you dont want a massage, no you dont want a Tuk Tuk, No you dont want some DVD's, No you dont want fireworks. Lol
-The beer 'Chang' tastes like crap. Stick to Singah or Tiger. lol
-Use your head when buying food. If it looks dodgy, it is. Eating street meat from carts etc can be ok, but make sure they cook it IN FRONT OF YOU, stay away from the stuff already cooked.
-Check out the website agoda.com: Discount Hotel Reservations - Smarter Hotel Booking! for booking hotel accom. They have some awesome deals! You'll get up to 75% discount when booking through it sometimes! We stayed at a hotel on Patong Beach (The Baan Laimai) for like $60/night for 2 of us and it was 5 star, room with balcony leading into the pool, across the road from the beach etc. If you're happy to stay in backpacker style accom sometimes then you can get a bed for 100baht a night (like $3) with free wifi!
-Dont drink more then one or two 'M150' energy drinks if you want to sleep in the next 48hours. lol.

Hope some of that helps dude. You will have a ball!!

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
A guy I know gets a prepaid simcard over there on their network so he doesn`t use his Telstra one as you get charged higher charges so he told me.
Global roaming I think it`s called.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Check out the visa restrictions before you go, I have a work mate who goes over on a regular basis but the visitors visa has a very strict time limit from memory and you will get fined if you go over.

My work mate even has his own house over there now and he loves the girls...........

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
id never travel to a country with the death penalty for drug position. with my luck id piss off the lady checking in my bags and she radio the baggage handlers to add a present to my luggage...

also if your by yourself dont get too drunk. you might not spot the adams apple, and wake up with a condom hanging out of your ass...

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
meh, i was in thailand for 2 months alone and was fine. stay the fk away from bankok and get yourself to a nice beach. koh samui, koh tau, koh panyang. full moon parties are great fun. ride some elephants in chamgmai, visit some temples and ****.

fk-all dodgie **** goes on, the occasional tuk tuk ride to the middle of nowhere whichll cost you like: 2 $AUD more that a normal ride, its lol cos they will stop out front of shops and ask you to go in. if you do go in youre doing them a favour cos' they get fuel tickets from the shop, so just entertain them, walk in look around, walk out. doesnt cost you a cent and helps a dude operate his tuk tuk and feed his family. remember: the king said that all thai locals need to look after tourists to keep the tourist dollar coming in. and thai's do whatever the fk their king says. so there isnt really any dodgie ****. unless you go full retard. the biggests fk ups is to argue a bill, hit on a chick that doesnt wanna be hit on and just generally act like an aussie.

fly under the radar, be polite to everyone, dont be a stingy bastard, DONT TOUCH A THAI GUYS HEAD (lol, weird i know but they will punch you square in the face if you touch their hair), and just generally go with the flow and youll be fine.

remember, everyone there is out to make a buck out of you... NOT rip you off. just let them have their buck and enjoy the ride.

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
Wouldn't go to the shithole for free..

Kinng

CrippleFK
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
Stay away from the Jet ski's, ended up paying 1500$ AUD for them.

Stay away from Bangkok!

Check your meat, you don't want dog instead of beef/lam.

Kinng