Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Going solo to Thailand for a holiday , need advice or tips ! wil +rep good comments:)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
just let them have their buck and enjoy the ride.

Awesome advice, it just depends on what you like to ride..........

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
I stayed in bangkok for 2 days after a 3.5 week trip across vietnam and cambodia.

It wasnt anything special, from stories from mates and pics ive seen, beach towna look alot better than bangkok so take that advice.

Just general things about SE Asia.
- Keep your wallet in a zipped pocket or in a pouch under your shirt.
- If you wear your bag on your back, just be mindful of dodgy looking people. I wore mine on my back the whole trip, contrary to advuce given before i left and I was fine.
- Try not to withdraw massive amounts of money at one time.
- Being by yourself, if your gonna get drunk in a bar, be careful.
- Always drink bottled water (most hotels give you free water) its pretty widely available.
- As previously stated, never pay full price.
- If your in a town for more than two nights, if you find a good english speaking taxi driver, get his number, they will show you plenty of stuff you never would have found out by yourself.
- Try not to be to uptight about everything you hear will happen to you, otherwise youll spend the whole time in the hotel and not enjoy yourself.
- Keep in mind its a whole new world over there in terms of culture and morals. So respect that.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i disagree with about 85% of that ^^^

kept my wallet wherever was easiest, back pocket, front pocket, hand. never got stolen
didnt bother wearing my bag, shorts/t-shirt/flip flops allll the way
used to carry round 6,000 baht at all times in the wallet in my back pocket or rolled up in a ciggie packet
was never careful drinking in bars. in fact, woke up in an alley way one night. cool story actually. covered in mozzie bites. wallet/id and all cash intact.
- always drink bottled water - yeah ok, agreed
i didnt haggle with a single person. just said "how much" they said price, if it was too much i walked /story
fk taxi's, walk and get tuk tuks

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
i disagree with about 85% of that ^^^

kept my wallet wherever was easiest, back pocket, front pocket, hand. never got stolen
didnt bother wearing my bag, shorts/t-shirt/flip flops allll the way
used to carry round 6,000 baht at all times in the wallet in my back pocket or rolled up in a ciggie packet
was never careful drinking in bars. in fact, woke up in an alley way one night. cool story actually. covered in mozzie bites. wallet/id and all cash intact.
- always drink bottled water - yeah ok, agreed
i didnt haggle with a single person. just said "how much" they said price, if it was too much i walked /story
fk taxi's, walk and get tuk tuks

I should have clarrified. Wallet is more so if your in crowded areas or markets, guy on our trip got it stolen out of his pocket in a cambodian market. Mine almost got ripped out of my hand by the passenger of a passing scooter as I out cash back inside it on the side of a road. Sonit can happen.

I think you are extremely lucky not to be dead. Waking up in an alley way alone in a forgeign country after obviously being to drunk to control your body/actions anymore. Thats poor advice to tell someone thats a good idea. Or that its ok because you got away with it.

With the withdrawing money thing. Just dont do it in a dodgy area of town or with heaps of people watching. Because on the off chance a criminal minded asian see's you loaded with cash, gaurenteed hill have a crack at taking it.

Haggling gets stuff cheaper. End of story.

All of the things I said a reducing the risk of something happening, im not saying "if you don't follow these pointers something WILL happen".

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
lol, that moment you realise your haggling about $0.02AUD

The awesome moment when you haggle down enough stuff to buy another beer or two that afternoon.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
if you think everyone in thailand is trying to rob you:
36715573.jpg

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
- Try not to be to uptight about everything you hear will happen to you, otherwise youll spend the whole time in the hotel and not enjoy yourself.

Thats why I said this earlier.
All my tips were there as things to be weary of.
Its pretty easy stuff to follow. Just means your lowering the risk of something happening. In my eyes, none of what I said will detract any fun from your holidays or be extremely inconvinient.

But hey, by all means dumpster, get so drunk you pass out in an alley way, im sure you'll have lots of fun! It comes with a rock solid gaurentee of no danger lol