Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Going solo to Thailand for a holiday , need advice or tips ! wil +rep good comments:)

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Getting it cheaper is getting it cheaper. You dont haggle down the 5baht increments obviously. But why pay 900baht for a shirt when you can get it for 300baht for example. As said above, gives you a few extra beers at the end of the day or a nicer hotel room.
Saying not to haggle just because its 'cheap' to us, is like saying if you were really loaded and came to Australia why not pay $180 for a T-Shirt just because you can.

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
So far awesome comments :) Mostly hahah.. + rep goin out

Belive it or not.. I had not intended to go for sex hahah
I want to see other cultures see temples and defiantly check out the elephant tour hahaha !.

I have tons of places I'll be checkin out.. defiantly the beaches too.
Had also considered backpacking places, which I will give it a go as well .. if not, I have a few hotels in mind

The thought of a 12 flight from AUS to BKK is very daunting haha! Never left the coast NOR have i left QLD ... hahha.. The only plane I' ever been on this the Qantas prop planes .. Very rough & deafening if you sit behind its engine tho lol

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Getting it cheaper is getting it cheaper. You dont haggle down the 5baht increments obviously. But why pay 900baht for a shirt when you can get it for 300baht for example. As said above, gives you a few extra beers at the end of the day or a nicer hotel room.
Saying not to haggle just because its 'cheap' to us, is like saying if you were really loaded and came to Australia why not pay $180 for a T-Shirt just because you can.

We aren't a third world country...

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
not that i know of. most times id just work out that the "rolax" watch i was about to buy was like: 10 bucks, front the cash and walk out.

Ah yes, the good old 'Genuine Bolex' watch. I'm sure some old school Lesiure Suit Larry fans will get the reference...

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Never been but one piece of advice I can give is if your hiring a scooter to get around, wear/hire a helmet!

A life long friend of my wife was on the back of a scooter with her bf and got cleaned up by a car late last year.
You may have seen the story on the news/the footy show.
The police tried to blame her boy friend for the accident but luckily it was caught on camera by someone.
Going with what everyone else was doing, locals etc... they didnt hire/wear helmets.
She past away shortly after surgery from head injuries.
Such a hard time for everyone involved.
RIP Nicole

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
The thought of a 12 flight from AUS to BKK is very daunting haha! Never left the coast NOR have i left QLD ... hahha.. The only plane I' ever been on this the Qantas prop planes .. Very rough & deafening if you sit behind its engine tho lol
The flight is usually pretty good. One more piece of advice, defo shell out the extra $20 or so for the 'entertainment package' on the flight. Makes it much more bearable. lol. I flew Jetstar and for an extra $18 you get given an iPad thats loaded up with movies/TV shows/Games/Magazines to keep you entertained. Would have been a very long flight without it!

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
We aren't a third world country...
The type of country has no relation to the point I was trying to make. I was merely saying for the sake of speaking 2 sentences or so and bartering, why pay 3 times more then the 100 customers before you paid for an item. Bartering doesn't offend people over there, its a part of everyday sales and is expected pretty much. Simply saying 'Thats a bit expensive' will drop the price by a few hundred baht.
Also keep in mind the OP will be staying there for a long period of time and will be earning what the average wage is while working over there (not much) so being money smart will be a major thing for him. You cant compare that to if you have a few grand saved up to go over for 2 weeks hols and can spend up big at every opportunity because you'll be home in 10 days time to return to earning fortune by their standards every week.

Growler71

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
Been going to Thailand for 15years never had any trouble
Don't ever ever ever say anything bad about the King
You're more likely to get ya wallet/bags knocked off by other farang (foreigners)
Here's some useful words
Prik nam plah (Fish sce)
Garl kip wan gai (green curry)
Yum woon sen goong (glass noodle with prawn)
Thai curry with chick
(Gann Ga ti gai)
Karl soy (steam rice)
Lah dee sawat (goodnight)
Singh lek nung quat(Small bottle Singh)
Luk gong (farewell)
Hy sung kalung (egg)
Hunyow maams dog
Glab barn (go home)
Pom imm (I'm full)
Senap di kawl (local dog)
Moooo menOw (pork with lemon)
Yum woon sen (glass noodle)
Poomow Pet pet (more)
Nung (1)
Popgun mi poor knee krup(ka for chics) see you tomorrow
Kai yut sai (stuffed Thai omelette)
Tapa coong (papaya salad)
Sing kawl (lunch)
Num pung (honey)
Pop gun mi pi nah (see you next year)
Yup very food related ;)

Sent from my iPhone using My thumbs

Calais666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL CALAIS / VP CALAIS
Sahwadeekah is what you will hear all the time , and you will prob end up saying a lot to ou of respect to say hello :)

Thailand was great , although we went to koh samui and the other guys also went o to bk but they said it was not nice n the preferred kohsa , Phuket , any day over bk as it was too busy , concrete jungle , dirty ,n rude .

The islands are amazing and certainly a place I want to re visit .

The thai People in kohsa mui are so polite ,the Indians are rude n direct ( even some of the Aussie Indians found them annoying )

The food was sensational and yeah you pay less but portions arnt huge which is why non of them are fat !

Night clubs are fantastic !!!
Clothes are cheap but are also cheap quality , as are sunglasses .. We still stocked up anyway cause well ... It's cheap :)
Thai girls are beautiful , although I count help looking at the front part of the neck area all the time lol
Cars are super cool , well in Thailand u begin to say that's awesome but I'd never do that to mine in Australia !
Haggle as much as u can but keep in mind that all shop attendants are diff , some are rude n some will want to do business ...say they will have fake beats headphones for about 1000 baht but down the road they are 700 baht now 700 baht is only $23 .00 so u have to calculate lot with ur phone before u disrespect people .. Because believe me the will remember u !

Please find out about professional n long time running " day safari trips in 4wds " things like this are amazing .. !!!!!! For about $50 Australian u will go out all day n get fed for an experience of fun !

I have so much more but I gotta go to work ..