Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Going solo to Thailand for a holiday , need advice or tips ! wil +rep good comments:)

YOURUP

Jecs' problem solver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Monaro, Harley Davidson
be careful driving a car or motorbike over there, if you're involved in an accident (even if its not your fault) you will get the blame and have to pay. the way they see it is "you're not meant to be in their country so if you werent there, the accident wouldnt have happened". the police dont earn much money so they make a living off corruption and bribes. you're best off paying one of the locals to take you, whether its in a tuk tuk, taxi or on the back of a motorbike, they're cheap so worth it. i payed a dude $2 AUS to take me from one side of bangkok to the other.

oh and if the girls are too good looking, they're a bloke. check for hand size and adams apples. (they now have operations that shave down their adams apples so you cant see them

Bangkok is awesome fun, you'll love it but it's very busy. phuket (patong beach) is very nice and more relaxed, either way you'll have a good time.

hope this helped

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
I just got back from there a few weeks ago.
-As mentioned, stay away from jetski's, they will say you damaged it and try hit you up with a $3000AUD+ bill and threaten to have you arrested etc if you dont pay!
-Barter for EVERYTHING. Never pay the first price stated for anything, even entry to a club. lol
-And honestly, dont got to Bangkok. Its dirty, smelly and overpriced. Go further south to the Phuket/Patong/Surrounding areas. Its more touristy, and hence you'll get work in a bar etc easier as the bars love putting aussies on coz its a great talking point with fellow aussie customers (which there are heaps of) and even other nationality tourists as well. Its cheaper and nicer then Bangkok. If you are lucky enough to score a job on it, check out Koh Phi Phi Island etc. **** is even cheaper again and its a friggin gorgeous place to live!
-Get used to saying 'Mai' (pronounced kinda like 'May'). It means no. No you dont want a massage, no you dont want a Tuk Tuk, No you dont want some DVD's, No you dont want fireworks. Lol
-The beer 'Chang' tastes like crap. Stick to Singah or Tiger. lol
-Use your head when buying food. If it looks dodgy, it is. Eating street meat from carts etc can be ok, but make sure they cook it IN FRONT OF YOU, stay away from the stuff already cooked.
-Check out the website agoda.com: Discount Hotel Reservations - Smarter Hotel Booking! for booking hotel accom. They have some awesome deals! You'll get up to 75% discount when booking through it sometimes! We stayed at a hotel on Patong Beach (The Baan Laimai) for like $60/night for 2 of us and it was 5 star, room with balcony leading into the pool, across the road from the beach etc. If you're happy to stay in backpacker style accom sometimes then you can get a bed for 100baht a night (like $3) with free wifi!
-Dont drink more then one or two 'M150' energy drinks if you want to sleep in the next 48hours. lol.

Hope some of that helps dude. You will have a ball!!

Haha! I may try that drink tho :p more time to explore haha!
Its good to see you had a great time!

Since im goin myself, the hotel you stayed at, would a single room be nice there?
Keen to try luxury for a bit ;D for at least one night, then no doubt something cheap, as I want to limit my spending to at least $100AUD per day over there..

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
be careful driving a car or motorbike over there, if you're involved in an accident (even if its not your fault) you will get the blame and have to pay. the way they see it is "you're not meant to be in their country so if you werent there, the accident wouldnt have happened". the police dont earn much money so they make a living off corruption and bribes. you're best off paying one of the locals to take you, whether its in a tuk tuk, taxi or on the back of a motorbike, they're cheap so worth it. i payed a dude $2 AUS to take me from one side of bangkok to the other.

oh and if the girls are too good looking, they're a bloke. check for hand size and adams apples. (they now have operations that shave down their adams apples so you cant see them

Bangkok is awesome fun, you'll love it but it's very busy. phuket (patong beach) is very nice and more relaxed, either way you'll have a good time.

hope this helped
haha great advice!
But yeah, I'll have an eye out for the adams apple or 'manly' lookin hookers

And I defiantly wont be driving over there hahah! been told a lOT and seen by comments here its not good haha, which IM ok with :D

Growler71

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina
I got busted in Koh Samui for not wearing a helmet by a motorbike cop NOT wearing a helmet. Had to go to the cop shop and get processed, thought I was gunna get effd over but it cost me 200bht about 7AUD locals got 400bht fines

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Haha! I may try that drink tho :p more time to explore haha!
Its good to see you had a great time!

Since im goin myself, the hotel you stayed at, would a single room be nice there?
Keen to try luxury for a bit ;D for at least one night, then no doubt something cheap, as I want to limit my spending to at least $100AUD per day over there..
Haha. The M150's are great if you've had a big day and want to head out for a night. Keep you going. lol

Yeah man the rooms at Baan Laimai are awesome. And the pool is amazing! Ideal location to. Looking for luxery people will recommend Gracelands in Patong but honestly save your money. Twice the price of everywhere else and honestly no nicer then say Baan Laimai and others. And its further away from Bangla Road as well.
$100AUD is exactly what our daily budget was! And we had no trouble with keeping to that even with shopping and tours most days!

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
I've been to Thailand several times, but not in the last 10 years, and had a great time every time.
I'd go back. This is based my experience -

there is a lot of great food in Thailand, but they tend to use too much chilli for my liking. So I have to remember to ask for "no chilli" when I order. You'll work this out for yourself, soon enough. I never eat red meat in Asia: there are too many horror stories about rats and dogs, and I don't want to eat either, nor do I want wonder about what I'm eating, or have eaten. I stick to chicken and fish. Thailand has great seafood.

Bangkok - a big city; very crowded, but not dirty. A few sights to see; some great shopping, but only if you're buying things that you really want. I found the "night markets" to be the most interesting. I only spent a few days in BKK, and that was enough.

Phuket is a big island on the west coast. Some parts cater for tourists, other parts do not. Patong is great: plenty of choices and good value for money. The beach is nice, but no surf.

Pattaya - relatively close to BKK, so it's easy to get to. I didn't like it. It was a centre of the paedophile trade, and a walk on the beach made me realize that these people were brazenly doing unspeakable things in public.

ChiangMai - in the mountains - very nice. I had some great tours from here, including a long ride through a pretty forest, on an elephant.

HatYai, on the Malaysian border - a market town, everything is cheap. Clean, but not many sights to see. I found it a great place to chill for a few days.

Places I haven't been, but would like to go to -
Koh Samui, and island off the east coast.
ChiangRai - further north than ChiangMai - lots to see and do, I'm told.
HuaHin - south of BKK - where a lot of expats make their homes. Must be a lot good about it for these people to choose it above all of the others.

I have met a lot of people who have backpacked through Thailand, and there weren't many horror stories. A lot of them had found a seaside village, with great food, great beach, and everything really cheap: there must be dozens of them. I'd be happy to go exploring, to see what I could find for myself.

Transport: travel agents are everywhere, and they will organize tours for you, or bus-travel to other places.
I'd never be tempted to hire a car or bike and drive myself. I get a taxi, or a tuk-tuk. The trick is this - if it's got a meter, then make sure it's in use. If no meter, then agree the price before you get in. Often the driver will offer to wait for you: be wary of this, as the bill might expand when "waiting time" is added.

Remember to keep your fluid intake up. Carry your own medication for diarrhoea - when you need it, you don't want to have go looking for it. I usually buy "Immodium" at a pharmacy at home, before I go away.

Money: rather than use money changers (many of whom are a pain in the backside), I use my card in an ATM. Ask at your bank which ATMs have the lowest fees.

Phone: next time I go away (I go to Bali a lot), I'm taking a cheap unlocked mobile: Coles had a basic Nokia, unlocked, on special for $27 a few weeks ago. When I get there, ask around, and get a prepaid SIM for $10, then email the folks at home a number for them to call me on if they feel the need to contact me.

Enjoy yourself: I did !

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
I just hope you don't come back with three assholes.

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
383 HSV GTO coupe & vk ls1 turbo
Man thialand is awesome. You will love it. I work in south Africa on a 4 weeks on and 2 weeks off roaster. I I try to go to thiland every second break. Very rarely get back to Aus now lol. Bangkok is pretty crazy. Stay in sucumpit it's where all the night life is. Soicowboy is good if your looking for some loving. Pattiya is all crazy if your looking to party. I am going to the full moon party in koh phangan next week. Koh sumui is nice chilled out island. It's not a dangerous place at all. You just have to watch some dodgy people trying to rip you off but even when they do rip you off its still cheap as. Go for it man. You meet so many other people traveling alone from all over the world.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2