Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Going to put a ecotec into a VK, is there anything i need to know?

'88 VN Custom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VS Statesman and 1984 VK Executive
I guess the title says it all so I’ll get to the point, I’ve got a donor vs and i want to know what will fit on an efi VK. I've done a bit of poking around and found out that pretty much everything from the front of the vs will bolt up to the vk with no problems but after that I’ve got no idea what I’ll need to do after that. I'm also wondering if i can still use any of the original VK exhaust or will i need to make a custom one?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Mate With the stock VK EFI you can reuse your fuel tank, maybe fuel pump and fuel flow and return lines. The rest is replaced with your ecotec efi system. Are you going to run a BCM or just gets the VATS turned of at the ECU? What instrumentation are you going to use?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Yeah mate prolly the best the fuel tank and fuel lines makes it much easier than converting from carbie

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
Thanks for that mate, guess i should have looked around a little before posting.:emb:
The only thing it didn't explain unfortunately is if any of the stock vk efi system would still be useable.

no worries, wasnt sure if you had seen it or not. as others have said i would imagine you can reuse your VK fuel tank, fuel pump etc. the fuel lines may have to be altered to suit the ecotec though. couldnt imagine it being particularly hard to alter the fuel lines though

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
Fuel lines should be fine. I fitted a V6 into a VC and used the original fuel lines and ran an extra line for the return. I used a VL tank. Should be able to re-use the back half of your exhaust. I used a set of headers with a custom made Y pipe which then mated up to a Redback 2 1/2" system. A standard Y pipe may work but all I had were the headers.

'88 VN Custom

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VS Statesman and 1984 VK Executive
Are you going to run a BCM or just gets the VATS turned of at the ECU? What instrumentation are you going to use?

The idea is to just turn the vats off, but I’ve seen bcm simulators available from V6 conversions so i may just grab one of them if that turns out to be the easier solution, as for the instrumentation I’ve grown to like the stock gauges so I’m hoping to be able to still use the factory cluster (although I’m not sure how the economy gauge will work...)

Also does anyone know anything about this company and their wares?
www.caenterprises.com.au - E.F.I. wiring kits for VB-VL.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
the economy gauge is the easiest to get to work! just plug it onto the throttle body in the same spot you plug your dash vacuum line. the speedo will be difficult if you use the VS box as its fully electronic with no cables or places you can attach a cable, the rest of the gauges are straight forward. YOu should be able to use a VK EFI pump with an ecotec, im using one for my Buick V6 and have no problems, i doubt the Ecotec will require more fuel flow from the pump.

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
The idea is to just turn the vats off, but I’ve seen bcm simulators available from V6 conversions so i may just grab one of them if that turns out to be the easier solution, as for the instrumentation I’ve grown to like the stock gauges so I’m hoping to be able to still use the factory cluster (although I’m not sure how the economy gauge will work...)

Also does anyone know anything about this company and their wares?
www.caenterprises.com.au - E.F.I. wiring kits for VB-VL.

yes i got my dash conversion from them and all i can say is DONT! go aftermarket gauges if you can.