Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gold Coast 600

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Stadium trucks were pretty interesting to watch.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Have you not been following my build thread?
I'm sure yours wont be a tarmac queen like 99% of the modern SUV's are .

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
:(

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Yes ……… I know that 'nobody' wants a petrol ute, and 'everybody' wants a soot-blowing ute. But, really, does 'everybody' need a 4WD diesel for daily use and shopping trips.
I know I don't, but a RWD 3>4 litre petrol replacement for the Crewman would make me interested.

Commercially the uptake was very low for petrol dual cabs so they were dropped in most of the road cars. I think a petrol V8 motor will help the category. IMO they deserve some sort of congratulations for trying formula directly relevant to what most of us seem to be buying these days. Funny to see the posts above bitching how different the Supercars have become from the road cars (fair comment) and that is the reason people switch off. On the other hand we have a category going out of it's way to be very close to a road car and they get maligned for being boring. GT cars have little relevance to the average Joe,

TCM seem to be strong but in reality they are very close to resto-mods with very modern suspension systems, brakes, cages and 600hp carbed, dry sumped LS motors. They leave even the best cars racing in their original era in the weeds. It is my favourite category by far however I highly doubt many realise how many mods these cars actually have.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I know that the petrol engine utes were dropped because of lack of demand. Fleet sales demanded diesels, and they can justify that decision.
All brands seem to be falling in line up way behind Toyota. (Just don’t mention the Great Wall Steed)
But for Fred Average ? The ‘big’ trip is to the supermarket, not the Old Telegraph Track, or Uluru via the Simpson Desert.
Having spent my childhood years in the outback, I am familiar as to what a FC Holden ute was capable of. Decent ground clearance, suitable tyres and common sense were enough to get you almost anywhere. My Cross6 is limited by tyre choice and I wish I could fit bigger tyres, but that is practically impossible.

If you can divorce the Supercars from the notion that they are Commodores and Mustang/Falcons, they are an incredibly fast, competitive category, probably the best in the world. Does any world series have a ‘Series Production’ category anymore ?
But the current utes …………….. well, about as exciting as an electric ride-on lawnmower race. A V8 would at least make the right noise, even if the speeds did not increase.
My favourite category at present the Aussie Racing Cars, and they are not based on anything that is road going.

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
[QUOTE=" On the other hand we have a category going out of it's way to be very close to a road car and they get maligned for being boring.[/QUOTE]
Close to being a road car that no one thinks is an exciting option for someone looking for speed, style and comfortable touring, unlike the days of Monaros, Toranas and yes even those other makes that you could watch race on Sunday and then go buy an almost identical vehicle on Monday.