Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

good 5 litre mods

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by reggie_c2005, Dec 10, 2007.

1. reggie_c2005

reggie_c2005 New Member

Members Ride:
    1997 vs 2 clubsport
    what are some good 5 litre mods. i was told that the hsv extractors and cold air intake were good as i have a vs club. i was think of spending money in cam and roller rockers and a high stall. prob a shift kit to. and eventually a yella terra charger

2. Boonz

Boonz Donating Member

Members Ride:
    green 355 VG ute
    pacemakers, 3 inch exhaust, tune and roller rockers is usually what people start off with...

if your wanting to supercharge it then i wouldnt advise going crazy with a massive lift cam... crane 276 with the terra charger goes great...
    2300rpm stall and 3.7's in the diff will get you moving

3. olschoolvh

olschoolvh New Member

Members Ride:
    VH Wagon/VS Ute
    What is the benefit of Roller Rockers and do they enhance performance in any major way?

4. simmons001

simmons001 I like VS Caprices

Members Ride:
    WH Grange/VS Caprice S1 5.0
    Extractors, CAI, slightly lumpier cam to suit your driving preference and gearbox (Manual/Auto).. i prefer torque to flat out hp with a non high stall auto), exhaust and a matching tune would be my order of preference. Then if you need more power, i would start on high stalls, shift kits, head work (Port, Polish, Intake, Roller Rockers etc) as this is where the gains start costing MONEY! :)

Oh! re roller rockers and please feel free to correct me if i am wrong peeps, i'm trying to remember :)

Roller Rockers are so called because they have roller bearings in the pivot as opposed to plain bushes. They are stronger, allow higher revs (if other engine parts are equally updated), increased accuracy of valve opening closing etc etc

But you need roller heads don't you? I have a vague idea you cant put roller rockers straight on to stock heads?

As i said, correct me if i am wrong, just throwing some thoughts into the ether ;)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  5. Snitz92

Snitz92 LPG Sucks.

Members Ride:
    '15 RG Colorado 2.8TD M6
    This gear sounds great. I am very soon converting my Statesman to manual with help from my Dad (engine and gearbox mechanic) and straight after will consider all of these mods. Can anyone provide a cheap-as-possible price to the extractors, 3 inch exhaust, roller rockers, lumpy cam and some form of forced induction? Any good shops or mechanics in South Aus with a fairdinkum price? And also, finally, is it worth buying a pair of pre-prepared racing Yella Terra heads with all the good gear in them already? As my old man's a mechanic and business owner, these head sets are notably cheap for me to buy. Approximately $1800 a pair, second hand and fully refurbished, new valves, roller rockers etc etc.. Is this worth buying and fitting?

6. HamaTime™

HamaTime™ VIP Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 & RV6 4Runner
    Note the date my friend. The last reply in this thread was 3 years ago...:clap:

7. Snitz92

Snitz92 LPG Sucks.

Members Ride:
    '15 RG Colorado 2.8TD M6
    Dam. I did not even see that! Oh well.

8. justbad4you

justbad4you IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN

Members Ride:
    97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
    hsv ectrac are pretty avrg

9. justbad4you

justbad4you IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN