Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good Buy You Tell Me ??

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
BeastVS said:
lol i got offered by a mate to buy his 2 month old JL competition sub for $80. But its not boxed and then i would need an amp. And i dont have that much money atm.

What model JL audio sub is it? i.e. w0, w1, w3, w6, w7. They retail from around $200 to over $2k. There is no "comp" model as such. Anyway, any of them are certainly worth $80 IMO. One of the nicest sounding subs around. Made in the USA build quality.

Make sure that it has a common or sensible voice coil configuration. i.e. single 4ohm, dvc 2ohm, dvc 4ohm. This will make amp selection easier. There are some odd dvc 6ohm setups etc, which will not suit single sub installations well.

If you find out the exact model No. i can suggest what size/type of enclosure it suits.

Cheers

Jeff T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Yup just buy it.

And in the time it takes you to save up for the amp, box and wiring you can learn how to make a box and do the installation yourself. It's really not that hard, it just requires a little research, planning and patience. There's plenty of good advice on these forums if you get stuck.

BeastVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L
ummm he said that the sub was around $350 and he bought it like only a few months ago. All i no is that its a 12" and is just looks standard black with the white JL branding and logo on it.

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
Probably something like a 12w3v2 then. http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=12
These used to be ~$500 rrp, they have just been superceded by the v3 model. So around $350 would be about right now.

There are three versions, all dual voice coil, 2 ohm, 4 ohm, 6 ohm. Once you know this, the most suitable amp is easy to pick.

JL recommend sealed enclosures of ~1.25 cubic foot (35.4l) or ported enclosures of 1.75 cubes (49.6l) tuned to 30.8 Hz. I like a little bigger for both and the port tuning a bit higher for daily use, around 35 Hz.

I have a 10w3v2-d2. It was the first sub that i bought. I have had others since and always go back to the w3. I have had it in a few different enclosures. The one i like best is a ported enclosure about .5 cubes bigger than jl recommendations, tuned to ~36 Hz.

Grab it! They are great sounding subs.

Cheers

BeastVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L
yeh but then i need an amp to run it, and my funds dont allow me to spend much on an amp, im probably looking at around $150 max and i no that probably wont get me anything decent.

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
There are plenty of cheap amps around. The w3, if thats what it is, likes ~300-500 wrms to really go off. It wil probably be loud enough (in a ported box) with ~150 wrms for daily use. Look on ebay and the for sale forum threads...trading post.. etc.

The specs of the actual sub will determine the best amp.

PM me your mates email if he agrees and you don't want it, and i will buy it! (if it is a w3).

BeastVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L
Hmmm can you advise me on an amp that would sound ok with this sub and wouldnt cost much more than $150.

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
The voice coil configuration will determine that. Depends on the impedance of the sub.

Just a case of finding the right deal. A secondhand jaycar amp or similar would be my choice ~$150. Again, depending on the sub impedance.