Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good car

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
The key word when talking about pre VE commodores is 'based'. They were 'based' on an opal. We modified the **** out of them inside and out and turned them into an Australian designed car that kinda looked like an opal.
The ZB is an off the shelf import with basically sweet FA input from Holden. Badges, minor suspension tweaks and a request for a V6 option?
So to me, the whole 'We should embrace the ZB because the old commodores were opals' argument is absurd.

I've driven an RSV. Drives fine. Nice car.
I won't be buying a ZB because it's too small, not enough power and to be honest the interior is boring and the outside average. Over priced too when compared to other cars that are actually selling.......
The reality for me is Holden no longer sells a car I'm interested in.
I don't think anybody does actually.....
The VF will have to last forever!

My wife loves the ZB....... it's the first time in 20 years a new model commodore has come out and I haven't pesterd her to buy it :cool:.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
T
My wife loves the ZB....... it's the first time in 20 years a new model commodore has come out and I haven't pesterd her to buy it :cool:.

My missus wasn't so kind when I pointed out we were behind a ZB recently...

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
My missus wasn't so kind when I pointed out we were behind a ZB recently...
I was saying she loves the ZB because I don't want one and it won't cost us money. Her opinion of it's looks were the same as your missus by the sound of it.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Yes the only true 100% designed and built Commodore would be the VE/VF series cars (using the GM parts bins) but still any VB to VZ is more Aussie than Opel. The ZB is badge engineered 100% and really isn't a Commodore other than name.

So yes the Commodore was based originally off an Opel platform but much modified/improved to suit our markets, no matter how you look at it, it was made our own (by our own) unlike the ZB!
I think it's been well documented that the ZB is a Commodore by name only.

But it doesn't erase the fact that bar the VE/VF the core design and engineering behind what landed on the dealers saleyard was a global GM product, stemming mostly from the Opel family, with changes.

The ZB, is a global GM product with a Holden badge and locally tuned suspension. Not far off what the Commodore was for nearly half this century.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
It'll be hard to keep a VE/VF running in 30 years where as the older Commodores will still be trucking on...

Not sure about that as fuel as we know it currently will no longer be available, thus why buying all these $200,000 cars is money down the drain as they won't be able to be driven, just looked at as a part of history. I feel that electric cars are no longer that far away as the mainstream car as many manufacturers will have examples available within the next 12 months. She's a changin' world out there.

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The only "proper all Aussie" Commodores would be VE-VF V6

Incorrect as the Alloytech V6 is basically a SAAB engine and definitely not Australian.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Incorrect as the Alloytech V6 is basically a SAAB engine and definitely not Australian.

They were actually first built for a Cadillac in a joint venture between GM Detroit and GM Holden.

SAAB did a bunch of work on the first turbocharged one.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Alloytech was GM engine, built by Holden in Port Melbourne. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine

At the time, Saab was part of GM - they may well have been involved in the development, but the Saab engines that were based on HFV6 were built in Port Melbourne and exported to Sweden.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not sure about that as fuel as we know it currently will no longer be available, thus why buying all these $200,000 cars is money down the drain as they won't be able to be driven, just looked at as a part of history. I feel that electric cars are no longer that far away as the mainstream car as many manufacturers will have examples available within the next 12 months. She's a changin' world out there.

Fuel issues aside you know I'm right.

Fuel will get more expensive but it'll be around for quiet a while yet. Unless you're like NZ where 90%+ of our electricity comes from renewable sources electric cars just aren't as clean and green (ignoring the production of the batteries) as they are made out to be.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
I just don't see how electric cars can be used in mass any time soon. Current infrastructure struggles on a 35 degree day when everyone cranks their A/C. So the government will have to spend billions to get us to a position where there's enough supply for every house to be charging a car or 2 every night.
There's still 50 years worth of oil based on current reserves and usage rates (according to BP). They're always looking for more too so we could be ok for even longer.
I don't think we're anywhere near the point where buying a 200K petrol car is a waste of money. Maybe in 25+ years..........