Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good car

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
As I was the one who posted the ZBs ‘V8 type acceleration’, it was not a technical, quantified statement, it was a ‘seat of the pants’ measurement.
So, I can’t specifically and authoritively state that it is quicker than a V8.
The scenarios were …….. driver and passenger combined weight of about 180kg, following a semi on an uphill section on a one lane each way highway, the road becomes multi lane, I plant it at 90kmh, and by the time I had passed the prime mover, I was well into the ‘beware of red/blue lights’ speed of over 120kmh.
A totally different ‘feel’ to an old 4 speed V8 with the initial hesitation of deciding which gear it needs before going feral. The 9 speed ZB gearbox was ‘go’ from the outset.
To those who happen to love their ZBs …… goodonya, your choice !
But to me, a reminder of Dave and the Derros hit song from many years ago …. “Nice legs, shame about the face.”

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
The ZB is not an actual Commodore it is a "Commodore". It should always be referred to as a "Commodore". It should never have been called a Commodore.

As someone who is new to the brand, the model name doesn't hold as much importance to me, I'd have bought it if it was called Insignia. I think Holden missed a trick there as this car better suits people like me who've never owned a Commodore before. When you take into account I was considering this vehicle against competing models from Skoda, VW and Audi you can see where GM/Holden are aiming this car.

I think the name does as much disservice to the ZB as it does to the traditional Commodore owners/fans. It really is a good car in it's own right, but a Commodore it most certainly is not. I think that's one statement both fans and haters of the ZB will agree on, but for vastly different reasons.

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo
No I have not but that is not the point, you seem to think that your opinion is more valid than someone else's who has driven the same car. 600km is a long drive, comfort or lack there off will be obvious to that user. I'm 6'6" and ~115kg what is comfortable to me is a lot different to what is comfortable for someone who is 5'6" and only ~65kg but does that make my opinion any more valid than yours or the other user?

Out of curiosity, have you tried that overtaking pace when the car is fully loaded?
The car is unequivocally quick. No car is as as quick when fully loaded . With a passenger and a bit in the boot, it is still very scintillating. It is doing 1250 revs at 112klm... It's grip is great, agile handling, the Holden engineers tuned the car for Aussie conditions. There are many many negative people canning the ZB. Most have not driven it. And reviewers say the 2 litre petrol is in sense the flagship of the offerings. It is superbly priced too . I coukd go on.

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
As someone who is new to the brand, the model name doesn't hold as much importance to me, I'd have bought it if it was called Insignia. I think Holden missed a trick there as this car better suits people like me who've never owned a Commodore before. When you take into account I was considering this vehicle against competing models from Skoda, VW and Audi you can see where GM/Holden are aiming this car.

I think the name does as much disservice to the ZB as it does to the traditional Commodore owners/fans. It really is a good car in it's own right, but a Commodore it most certainly is not. I think that's one statement both fans and haters of the ZB will agree on, but for vastly different reasons.
Whether it's a Commodore or something else us a furphy.. It clouds the issue by pushing aside the merit of the car It is a great widget come back to that. Come back to what the reviewers said ABOUT THE CAR... ABOUT IT'S PERFORMANCE, ABOUT IT'S SAFETY. THAT'S ALL I'M PUTTING UP .

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
As I was the one who posted the ZBs ‘V8 type acceleration’, it was not a technical, quantified statement, it was a ‘seat of the pants’ measurement.
The scenarios were …….. driver and passenger combined weight of about 180kg, following a semi on an uphill section on a one lane each way highway, the road becomes multi lane, I plant it at 90kmh, and by the time I had passed the prime mover, I was well into the ‘beware of red/blue lights’ speed of over 120kmh.
A totally different ‘feel’ to an old 4 speed V8 with the initial hesitation of deciding which gear it needs before going feral. The 9 speed ZB gearbox was ‘go’ from the outset.
But to me, a reminder of Dave and the Derros hit song from many years ago …. “Nice legs, shame about the face.”
oh my goodness. you saud the car was quick very quick.. and it is .. the reference to 9 speed transmission is rated by pro reviewers as also regarded as seamless and
brilliant too. I research all that so say .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The car is unequivocally quick. No car is as as quick when fully loaded . With a passenger and a bit in the boot, it is still very scintillating. It is doing 1250 revs at 112klm... QUOTE] .
Sheesh that is low revs at 112kph. No car is as quick, when fully loaded? I wouldn't hinge my bets on that, I suspect the Stinger would outpace the ZB, down the 1/4 as it does a stock V8 VF

Henry the octopus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 ss
:"Whether it is a commodore or something else is a furphy".

Strange thing to write on this site

It could be the best car in the world but wouldn't be much point writing about it here if it wasn't a Commodore.

And it isn't. Not really....though GM would like us to think it was

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The car is unequivocally quick. No car is as as quick when fully loaded . With a passenger and a bit in the boot, it is still very scintillating. It is doing 1250 revs at 112klm... It's grip is great, agile handling, the Holden engineers tuned the car for Aussie conditions. There are many many negative people canning the ZB. Most have not driven it. And reviewers say the 2 litre petrol is in sense the flagship of the offerings. It is superbly priced too . I coukd go on.

The only person not over 6' in my family is my missus, I need a car with a lot of leg and head room and the grunt to move all that extra mass.

I'm fairly comfortable saying that the biggest gain in the last decade of the internal combustion engine drivetrain is the advancement of the transmissions. The current crop of 9/10 speed transmissions that are now becoming common make the old 4L60e (with one diff ratio to suit all models) look like the old horse and cart but with excess grunt these short comings are minor :)

Of course yours was a good price when you got it dirt cheap...

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
I would hope it would feel better than a old v8 and a four speed as being from the 70s to early 80s my 2006 hilux is certainly more punchy and comfortable than my 1965 Toyota lite stout aswell

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride

The car has Aussie tuning alk over it. Again, the reference to say it is not a Commodore, is putting up a tangent. THE WIDGET IS BRILLIANT..
Sheesh that is low revs at 112kph. No car is as quick, when fully loaded? I wouldn't hinge my bets on that, I suspect the Stinger would outpace the ZB, down the 1/4 as it does a stock V8 VF
Young are all over the place now the stinger is a pathetic comparison. It's a 3.3 V6 compared to the ZB 2 litre 4 cyl petrol turbo. I'll stop this now.. all I wanted to do is arrest all the negativity and poorly researched and poor shooting from the hip. I just want to demonstrate that the ZB 2 litre petrol turbo is an excellent car I have exposed the good stuff .. tgat will do .When I read the comment about turning off the lane control, one of many safety features lauded by thoughtful motor industry observers, of course rightly so, I realised that it was pointless to make any further comments .