Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good car

John a

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zb rsv
Had my rsv since April it's a bloody good car traded a sv6 black edition.rsv handles and drives better than the vf. I find that most people ragging the zb haven't driven one also take into account this is what holden would now be building if people had supported holden and we didn't have a hostile government.only thing wrong with the zb is it's not built in aus.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Had my rsv since April it's a bloody good car traded a sv6 black edition.rsv handles and drives better than the vf. I find that most people ragging the zb haven't driven one also take into account this is what holden would now be building if people had supported holden and we didn't have a hostile government.only thing wrong with the zb is it's not built in aus.
And NO V8!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
...and it's called a Commodore!

John a

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zb rsv
...and it's called a Commodore!
As was the vb through to the vt all based on the German opel .not Aussie until 've vf. As I said before if people had supported holden th zb is what would have been built now in aus.but sadly a hostile government and a population that wouldn't buy made in aus .so no more made in aus.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Based on but modified and built in Aussie with Aussie engines etc. So although the Commodore started out based on a Opel it never really was an opel like the ZB is. From every model onward starting at the VB the Commodore became more Aussie and less Opel, hell it started out as a combination of 2 Opel's so it's not like they just picked up a model from Europe and built it exactly the same in Australia, nope, they basically re-engineered the drive train to suit as the original design just couldn't cope with the rough Aussie conditions.

The VB Commodore was also a brand new model for Holden so it's not like they were re-using a name to sell a new model. It was a big risk for Holden but it payed off, this time round clearly not. The biggest problem with the ZB is that Holden/GM are trying to sell it based on the history of the Commodore which the ZB is not. The ZB is badge engineered with Holden just ticking a wish list of parts and GM saying ya or nay to what they wanted.

Interestingly enough, a uncle of mine (in Europe) actually owned a Opel Senator which I have seen in person and you can tell they are different to the Commodore I have in the garage of around the same vintage.

If you go back over all my posts on this subject you'll see I've never said the ZB is a bad car, it's just not a Commodore and the sooner Holden/GM realize that the better. Sell the ZB on it's merits and not on the goodwill of the Commodore brand which to date is clearly failing.

John a

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zb rsv
Based on but modified and built in Aussie with Aussie engines etc. So although the Commodore started out based on a Opel it never really was an opel like the ZB is. From every model onward starting at the VB the Commodore became more Aussie and less Opel, hell it started out as a combination of 2 Opel's so it's not like they just picked up a model from Europe and built it exactly the same in Australia, nope, they basically re-engineered the drive train to suit as the original design just couldn't cope with the rough Aussie conditions.

The VB Commodore was also a brand new model for Holden so it's not like they were re-using a name to sell a new model. It was a big risk for Holden but it payed off, this time round clearly not. The biggest problem with the ZB is that Holden/GM are trying to sell it based on the history of the Commodore which the ZB is not. The ZB is badge engineered with Holden just ticking a wish list of parts and GM saying ya or nay to what they wanted.

Interestingly enough, a uncle of mine (in Europe) actually owned a Opel Senator which I have seen in person and you can tell they are different to the Commodore I have in the garage of around the same vintage.

If you go back over all my posts on this subject you'll see I've never said the ZB is a bad car, it's just not a Commodore and the sooner Holden/GM realize that the better. Sell the ZB on it's merits and not on the goodwill of the Commodore brand which to date is clearly failing.

John a

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zb rsv
I agree with everything you say it got better with time .and yes it was made in aus therefore better than the opel.i have driven see real senators in the late 80s mid ninety looked similar but not so nice to drive.but all those bleating about the loss of the aus industries if they had supported aus cars we would still have aus made cars and it would have been the zb made in aus and no v8.I know every Commodore I purchased from vk through to vf it was all ways the same by the would be experts why did you get one of them.because I happen to like holden and I was supporting Aussie made.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
If it was totally re-branded , as say the Holden VXR , the Holden Evoke , and the premium the Calais , and do away with the Commodore brand , would it be more acceptable ? , I love Commodores , and I like the ZB , I like how it drives , if the Commodore badge was removed , it wouldn't sway me away from them . Because it still has the Lion on the front , even it is built in Germany , and soon to be French when PSA tale over .

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
If it was totally re-branded , as say the Holden VXR , the Holden Evoke , and the premium the Calais , and do away with the Commodore brand , would it be more acceptable ? , I love Commodores , and I like the ZB , I like how it drives , if the Commodore badge was removed , it wouldn't sway me away from them . Because it still has the Lion on the front , even it is built in Germany , and soon to be French when PSA tale over .
Not to mention the gm pox that will surface in them in no time

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Commodore is a med-large RWD sedan/wagon with V6/V8 motivation, the ZB is really non of these things and it fits in much better with the Toyota/Mazda/Nissan cars that we see on our roads today, calling the ZB a Commodore is the marketing people trying to set it in a different market segment to the cars that in reality it is now competing with.