Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good duration but low lift camshaft

H

harrop.senator

Running 12’s is probably more about car/driveline setup than trying to squeeze more power from it. Tuned properly I can’t see why it wouldn’t go high 12’s, even though they’re a heavy pos haha

With that lsa torque shouldn’t be too concentrated with a good spread - perfect for something you do a few k’s in

Torque bands thinner then expected it's honestly only lively from like 3200-5800 but may be the springs gone soft and floating.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Really? That’s a baby cam in the scheme of it, I wouldn’t expect that at all... could just be the tune?

H

harrop.senator

Could be as never knew cam specs when bought and got a decent stall after how large we had to drill the tb air bleed hole out to stop maxing the iacv out on idle.

Or the fact that you can get up to sixty and take your foot off the throttle and maintain speed most distances of a standard length suburban street. Fair chug at lights to requires a heavy brake foot to maintain position lol.

H

harrop.senator

But yes person who tuned it should be shot in a field. Had a lot of issues that were easy stuff anyone who's ever tuned before could figure out lol.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Could be as never knew cam specs when bought and got a decent stall after how large we had to drill the tb air bleed hole out to stop maxing the iacv out on idle.

Or the fact that you can get up to sixty and take your foot off the throttle and maintain speed most distances of a standard length suburban street. Fair chug at lights to requires a heavy brake foot to maintain position lol.
I’ve done very limited research on LS tuning, but the general consensus is that if the tuner recommends drilling a hole in the throttle blade, you should run away with your cash in hand.

Pushing against the converter can be ironed out in the tune - lower the idle and correct the fuel table. Can also time the end of injection (whether fuel is injected towards an open valve, closed valve etc.). Most tuners tune for WOT and spend no time at all to get driveabilty right.

That cam shouldn’t need a big converter to be friendly on the street. Of course your et will benefit from a high stall and even a stock cam though.

H

harrop.senator

Kalmaker (Allan Gibbs) drilled the hole to get it to idle for me for free would stall in intersexinter coming off throttle at random times he knew I needed the ppk changed to suit diff gears and the motor was coming out for a gasket set and I may have not been happy with cam and needed re tune to suit stall when fitted.

Don't know if it's a normal practice for him bit he's one of Perth premier tuners for past two decades and always been happy with his work. If he wants to drill the new one I'll let him.

The iacv readings were legit maxing out on idle and come off throttle it would stall. He showed me on live tuner as he did it to bring the count down to 75-90 at base down from 150-160. He said was due to not being able to crack the blade open without upsetting TPS and the cam reversion was causing the high readings.

H

harrop.senator

Also already idles at 700 rpm don't think can drop it much more honesyhothink it'd be cleaned up going higher.r the previous tuner told my old boy he'd lowered the idle and held back on it to stop it pushing on the converter already but as said I don't think he had much tuning skill.

H

harrop.senator

Also sorry for spelling stuff, at airport with cracked screen 2 hrs sleep and already being sooked at for not paying enough attention by Mrs.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
So allan Gibbs didn’t touch the tune? Sounds like just a quick fix to get it driveable. It’s an easy way to give it the extra air it wants that the iac can’t provide without rectifying the problem. It’s basically a bandaid fix

H

harrop.senator

Na Al didn't touch it had a quick look at the timing maps realised their was no low advance table incase it got bad fuel.

He reckons tune didn't look tooooo bad idle timing jumps around a lot he said was pretty normal he said he'd touch up the one it had when time comes rather then starting again the guy just didn't know enough.

Eg their was an issue with the MAF, MAF wiring harness or pcm as it wasn't getting any signal from the mad and that's why it was stalking out.

Turn out had already had MAF deactivated in the tune but someone had slapped one and an airbox back in I'd say for an inspection. This is why my step dad got it back with a $1400 bill and the thing would cut out in intersections.

Al spent ten minutes on the car and it's never stalled again lol just gets a little chuggy on lean cruise at a maintained TPS percentage after awhile as hasn't had fuel map corrected for the little extra air.