Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Everyone is all super safety officer these days. I reckon half the idiots that you see on the road just don’t give a **** these days as they subconsciously know the car will save them from their own stupidity. Although having said that I do see quite a few stupid motorbike riders too (riding slower than traffic, sitting in cars blind spots etc) so my observation on this might be incorrect.

Having spent the first 10-15 odd years of my driving life in sub $1000 manual transmission **** boxes that would break down on a semi regular basis was a character building experience.

First off I had to learn a manual transmission as an automatic car was out of reach of my finances so if I wanted to drive I couldn’t just do it the lazy way.

Having substandard cars taught me to respect the road and have a healthy scepticism in the other idiots on the road and not trust that they will do the right thing. I had a couple of near misses in the first 6-12 months of driving after I got my licence that scared the **** out of me as I knew if those near misses would have turned bad then I’d most likely not be here as I was in a Datsun 1600 that didn’t even have retractable seatbelts much less airbags etc.

It also taught me to man the F up and learn how to fix my own car otherwise I wasn’t going to be going anywhere on a Friday night! Money to pay a mechanic was non existent in my early years so if I didn’t get off my arse and fix the car myself I was staying at home until I did!

As much as everyone wants to be mollycoddled (and like mollycoddling their children) it reduces resourcefulness and makes you highly dependent on others. My son has already said he wants to have my SV6 when he gets his licence and I’ve decided I’m going to convert it to a manual transmission so he can learn to drive properly.

He will be doing the servicing on it too as having a car is a responsibility, not just something you jump in when you want to use it and palm off onto someone else (a mechanic) when something goes wrong with it.
You do make some good points.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I reckon half the idiots that you see on the road just don’t give a **** these days as they subconsciously know the car will save them from their own stupidity.

That's not really my point as somebody else here is trying say it is. I've never heard anybody say "it's okay, I've got ABS", or even think that myself in my driving.

There are going to be situations on the open road which even no F1 driver will be able to avoid, out brake, or anticipate, it doesn't matter how good you think you are. My point here is that there is going to be some scenario (usually by somebody elses hand) where you are not fast enough for that, no matter how alert or observational you are, that's what these things are really trying for. I don't know why that's so hard to digest for some, or why they think people somehow use ABS on the daily (it's not fun when you do).

There's a few famous drivers you could put here that fall into this boat that have paid dearly, ignore that they may have been racing or recreating, by the logic discussed they should have been able to handle it - they're the pros after all. Or are they human?

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
That's not really my point as somebody else here is trying say it is. I've never heard anybody say "it's okay, I've got ABS", or even think that myself in my driving.

There are going to be situations on the open road which even no F1 driver will be able to avoid, out brake, or anticipate, it doesn't matter how good you think you are. My point here is that there is going to be some scenario (usually by somebody elses hand) where you are not fast enough for that, no matter how alert or observational you are, that's what these things are really trying for. I don't know why that's so hard to digest for some, or why they think people somehow use ABS on the daily (it's not fun when you do).

There's a few famous drivers you could put here that fall into this boat that have paid dearly, ignore that they may have been racing or recreating, by the logic discussed they should have been able to handle it - they're the pros after all. Or are they human?
In my mind stuff like ABS and airbags don’t really fall into the category I’m talking about as they are really only there to help the driver with actions that you were already going to take and (hopefully) stops you from dying in the event of a crash.

I should have been a bit more specific and said stuff like lane keep assist, autonomous emergency braking etc have created a breed of people that rely on those things to keep out of trouble.

Like it or not our intelligence as human beings came from Darwinism. The smartest survived and the dumbest perished. Now we take it to the Nth degree to save idiots from themselves and they don‘t even receive any punishment when they constantly screw up.

Where are the laws sending people back to re-sit their driving test if they cause more than one at fault crash over X period of time? If it’s good enough to have your car crushed for doing a burnout in an industrial area at two in morning then it’s good enough for serial idiots who can’t drive to re-sit their tests.

And I’m sure you’ve seen these people before yourself, they are the ones in banged up Camry’s etc that have been in a dozen accidents and they nearly cause a couple of accidents while your near them. These people need to not be on the road as they are clearly not competent but can carry on driving anyway as there is no real penalty for causing crashes.

End Rant.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I've got other car makes and models there such as the Barina, Cruze and Malibu.
1627188704623.gif

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

And having these aids aren't going to prevent accidents in some of these scenarios you have presented.....They can however help prevent injuries....

It is rather funny listening to the younger generation state having these aids makes them better drivers....Your posts appear to confirm this...The way the world works is, mention the word safety with something and automatically it makes things better....That includes driving ability.....I hear it constantly with the younger generation.....

I am not insinuating I am the perfect driver...I am mearly stating, not having these aids tends to heighten your awareness behind the wheel to help prevent an accident.... Not having ABS brakes makes you mindful that if you lock your brakes, you are more likely to smack into something solid and not having airbags, you will kiss the steering wheel.......Not having traction control makes you mindful, that especially in the wet, you can loose traction, turn the car into a solid object and hurt yourself....And stability control makes you more mindful, that you can loose control easily and hit something solid....

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Your posts appear to confirm this...
Sure thaaang - apparently I'm young so I can use that word, you don't even know how old I am, but sure, make it a generational thing. Where are you hearing this constantly BTW? I know I'd rather have somebody (of any age group because that's a thing now) use their ABS if they can for their crappy driving (or honest mistake) instead of having them rear end me and debate the merits of their driving afterwards, let me know how that goes for you when it happens to you.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
And having these aids aren't going to prevent accidents in some of these scenarios you have presented.....They can however help prevent injuries....

It is rather funny listening to the younger generation state having these aids makes them better drivers....Your posts appear to confirm this...The way the world works is, mention the word safety with something and automatically it makes things better....That includes driving ability.....I hear it constantly with the younger generation.....

I am not insinuating I am the perfect driver...I am mearly stating, not having these aids tends to heighten your awareness behind the wheel to help prevent an accident.... Not having ABS brakes makes you mindful that if you lock your brakes, you are more likely to smack into something solid and not having airbags, you will kiss the steering wheel.......Not having traction control makes you mindful, that especially in the wet, you can loose traction, turn the car into a solid object and hurt yourself....And stability control makes you more mindful, that you can loose control easily and hit something solid....
Um.
1627211373792.jpeg

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Sure thaaang - apparently I'm young so I can use that word, you don't even know how old I am, but sure, make it a generational thing. Where are you hearing this constantly BTW? I know I'd rather have somebody (of any age group because that's a thing now) use their ABS if they can for their crappy driving (or honest mistake) instead of having them rear end me and debate the merits of their driving afterwards, let me know how that goes for you when it happens to you.
So many people dont even know how to use their brakes properly. See it all the time on Dashcam Owners Australia. They are about to crash and just lightly apply the brakes and end up crashing when they could have stomped on to activate the ABS and not ended up crashing.

Edit: Watching the Dashcam Owners Australia YouTube channel gives you a healthy scepticism in your fellow drivers and makes you pay attention to what the idiots are doing (most of the time you can spot them from a mile away). So many innocent drivers end up getting their car wiped out by some knuckle head who decides to do something stupid!

My most recent experience was some idiot in front of me who decided he was going to pull over (without using their indicator) because there was an ambulance coming the other way on the opposite side of the road.

I kept going but they pretty much immediately pulled back out again before the ambulance even went past (using no indicator once again) and I had to swerve into the opposite lane with the ambulance still coming the other way to avoid a crash.

Luckily I got back on the other side of the road before the ambulance came past but they still had to move over for safety and weren’t impressed as they blasted their horn. In hindsight I might have been better off just letting them hit me but maybe they would have ended up pushing me into the path of the ambulance.

Last edited: