Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Good HQ Holden Mechanic/Workshop in Sydney

Rob HQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
HQ Kingswood
Hi guys,

After some info for my HQ, couldn't find a decent forum for the older Holdens anywhere :(

I'll be getting my hands on a HQ sedan soon that I'll be rebuilding. Has a straight body with some rust in usual places, wheel arches, window sils, roof edges, looks pretty repairable but has eaten through on the roof edges. I will do some of the restoration work myself but most engine, drivetrain, paintwork will need to be done by professionals.

1. I'm after some recommendations of a good trusted workshop/mechanic in the Sydney area, who might be experienced with older model Holdens, someone that could rebuild a 350 Chev engine and TH350 tranny?

2. I know hard to tell without checking the engine internals first but how much could a 350 rebuild cost me approx?

3. Any recommendation for a paint shop in Sydney? Someone willing to take on rust repair and prep like this? What am I looking at ballpark for repair of the rust explained above and a closed door respray of the same colour (Glacier White).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Throw up some pictures mate, for bodywork you'll be looking at $15k++++ depending on how much rust and how crazy you want the car to be. Decide before you begin what you want the end goal for the car to be both looks and purpose wise? I'm not in Sydney but could probably recommend some shops based on work that's come out of them.... but depends on what you are aiming for with the car.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
If any body shop gives you a price be very wary because we all know what happens to a job when the money runs out. The magic metal from a can goes on think and fast. other wise the price will be huge. I don't see much point in putting little pieces in rusty sills. A bloke I know that is doing a HQ 2 door here in Mexico told me that job will end up around $30K for the rust repairs and paint weather he is telling me bs nfi

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah you need to decide how far you want to take it. The engine alone could end up costing well over $10k depending on what you would like them to do to it.