Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good loud muffler ?

Endz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
Hi ive got a 2.5" Catback and extractors on my car and it just has the redback muffler on it.. Im after a really loud muffler to have welded in. what brand would you guys recommend getting ?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Take the muffler out and put a hot dog in.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hi ive got a 2.5" Catback and extractors on my car and it just has the redback muffler on it.. Im after a really loud muffler to have welded in. what brand would you guys recommend getting ?

If you want really loud you will need to remove the muffler completely and either weld some straight pipe in or a hot dog.
If it's a V6 it will sound even more like ass without a muffler......but that's the only way to make the car louder, simply changing mufflers won't do a thing (unless it's a hotdog)

It will just give you drone across the entire rev range.....trust me I have done it all before.

Being a redback system I would think it would have a muffler and a resonator on it.

Remove the resonator and you will be fine, just don't remove the muffler.

The resonator is what's making the exhaust quiet.

But remember really loud V6's will just make everyone within a 100m radius of you want you dead as the noise coming out your car will make everyone want to run you off the road for being such an idiot.

I am all for aftermarket exhausts on a V6 but keep it a reasonable volume so as not to piss anyone else off.......remember it's not a V8....it's not going to have that sound that people actually enjoy hearing.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
did someone say hotdog?

3pcpmy.jpg

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Tell me more about these hotdogs, any particular brand ?

They are all very similar in design.

The stainless steel ones are a bit higher quality but mild steel ones can be had for as low as $40

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/9-LONG-2...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231a4ea872

Where on the exhaust you position them has a great deal off affect on the sound/amount of drone etc so speak to an exhaust guru such as NAAF above as to putting it front middle or back of the system, I had one on my SS which was quite loud....I positioned it near the rear of the exhaust (next to the fuel tank) which reduced the drone quite a bit compared to near the front of the system

But take my warning....you will spend all this money/time and your car will sound absolutely revolting....the sound quality degrades 10 fold on a V6 the louder you make it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
So you have gotten the hint that someguy360 doesn't like a loud V6?

The first step is to determine what you already have and go from there. Do you have a muffler in front of the diff and one behind?

LAP004

lifes-likethat
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp executive

im all for loud but as others have said it can easily bad/sound wrong.

i got genie headers, standard cat converter, into 3'' catback with single redback muffler. on my vp v6 manual sounds pretty good but would probs be sounding nicer if it was a little quieter.

btw the system was installed when i was still running a s14 toyota blower.

good luck with wat you decide

Endz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
So you have gotten the hint that someguy360 doesn't like a loud V6?

The first step is to determine what you already have and go from there. Do you have a muffler in front of the diff and one behind?

I just have the single muffler before the diff, and no resonator.