Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good Luck Victoria

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Have a look at many bike riders... super light weight bikes, dressed in lycra (usually with some faux ‘sponsorship’ branding), and try to ride flat out whenever they can. It’s like they are in a race rather than a commute.

Do you think it is comfortablr to ride the home to work commute in an Ermenigildo Zegna suit and dress shoes? I don't think so! I much prefer plain black Lycra, a Kathmandu L/S shirt.. Very unremarkable but efficient stuff!
My Zegna suit was stored at work wherever I was. Just ride. Shower, dress and ready to rock.

What constitutes "faux sponsorship" ? And how do you know for certain it is faux? Some background as a valid example: you cannot wear a business jersey if you are not actually sponsored (or are an employee of) that business. The interesting exception to this is participants in the BUPA Around The Bay in A Day ride. Riders are permitted to wear that jersey long after the event - - literally a moving billboard for BUPA! Same with 2XU.

Bike shops actively sponsor amateur club-enrolled riders. So too, do companies big and small who have their own staff 'flying the flag' in competition. If you saw a rider wearing a BMC jersey, would you think that is faux? Or any one of the German and Italian gruppos? Chances are good he and others earn more in one year than you might in five. True story. ;)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
We’ve had 2m here in WA for years and we are not having the roads taken over. There’s dick heads on bikes and in cars. It’s not really any different to before. Occasionally it makes for an inconvenience, but to be fair, if they don’t offer courtesy, I don’t.

*same 1m below 60 and 1.5m above 60. As my wife informs me.

Last edited:

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Alot also comes down to the pack mentality and being sensible about where/how they ride.
As someone who rides alot (Not on road bikes) and has also competed all around Aus, I shake my head at many who don't take responsibility into their own hands. But like many situations its a small minority that make the rest look bad.
Some choose the dumbest places/roads to ride and that contributes to the dislike (ie the very tight and windy mountain roads that are heavily used which make it very difficult to pass). I know personally over time i've found lots of paths or use many of the side roads to keep off the main thoroughfares. Not exactly viable for those like the neighbour who a "short" ride is 100km+ but his thoughts are similar where he uses the proper back country roads so as to reduce the likelyhood of any traffic.

I actually like the fact it'll be written into the law that you can pass them over double and solid white lines, removes the "risk" of being caught especially when many of the roads they use have been those that you weren't allowed to previously pass on (without breaking the laws).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I actually like the fact it'll be written into the law that you can pass them over double and solid white lines, removes the "risk" of being caught especially when many of the roads they use have been those that you weren't allowed to previously pass on (without breaking the laws).
Makes a mockery of double white lines.

People being people, they will rationalise if it’s ok in one case it’s ok in all cases. Expect to see more head ons as a result. Some of these head ons will take out bike riders during the crash...

Id have loved to see legislation tha5 required greenfield developement to include segregated foot paths, bike lanes and roads but that just eats into profits... so we are instead allowed to cross double white lines?

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
I actually like the fact it'll be written into the law that you can pass them over double and solid white lines.
You forgot to mention it will only be legal to cross over double lines and solid single lines to pass a cyclist 'when it is safe to do so'.

I know it only stands to reason to overtake when it is 'safe to do so' but there are lots of people out there who have a drivers license and shouldn't.

We have had these cyclist laws here in QLD for a few years now and there hasn't been any appreciable increase in head on collisions (that we hear about) but I have seen a few near misses as drivers get frustrated being stuck behind a cyclist for too long .

Last edited: