Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good Mech with Alloytech knowledge in sydney?

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
If anyone knows a good mech that knows about the Alloytech i am after one in the Sydney area. cheers in advance.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
well, id say holden would locally be the best considering they have all the factory repair manuals as most small workshops probably wont,

what exactly are you having trouble with? or are you just after general servicing?

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
General servicing and i need a few things looked at like particularly loud injectors and a short rattle on cold startup ect.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
short rattle on startup is your timing chain tensioner... they clag up around the oil inlet, happens when the motor only gets used when cold regularly and doesnt get a chance to warm up, run some engine oil flush thru for about 5 changes every 5 thousand k's... pretty common problem with alloytecs

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
short rattle on startup is your timing chain tensioner... they clag up around the oil inlet, happens when the motor only gets used when cold regularly and doesnt get a chance to warm up, run some engine oil flush thru for about 5 changes every 5 thousand k's... pretty common problem with alloytecs

thank you, will give that a go,

dont spose that problem is also exhibited when engine hot, mine tick for about 2 seconds loudly if left for like half an hour at operating temp

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
whenever the oil drops its temperate and gets thicker again... its like trying to fit diff oil thru a straw... happens slowly till ti warms up.
but mainly is present first thing in the morning... these engines arent pretty when you take the front cover off after 80,000+ k's, carbon build up galore for some reason

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
whenever the oil drops its temperate and gets thicker again... its like trying to fit diff oil thru a straw... happens slowly till ti warms up.
but mainly is present first thing in the morning... these engines arent pretty when you take the front cover off after 80,000+ k's, carbon build up galore for some reason

15,000km oil changes wouldnt help one bit

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah my car was originally a fleet car so it was only serviced every 15k until 35k when it was purchased off a private owner. Even then just before i bought it the guy did the 65k service but sold the car at 81k missing the 75k service grrrrrr. I think a few changes of NEO motor oil should give it a good clean out.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
id still run an oil flush thru it at your next few oil changes, make sure you drain the oil when its really hot so it all drains out when its thin... only way to make sure you get all the old stuff out

7,500 is the most id go with an oil change, thats why theres intermediate oil changes noted down inbetween each major service

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cool i will do that. :) Since you seem to know a bit about these engines are the injectors meant to be quite loud on the alloytec's, mine almost sound like a diesel at idle. Should i get them cleaned?