Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good spot for amp?

ENV5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec, VC SL/E V8, 2x Lada Nivas
im installing mine on the right hand side of my boot

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
I have a VS & I mounted my 2 ALPINE amps on a piece of 16mm mdf on the axle hump behind the back seats. I attached 2 90 degree angles to the mdf & then attached it to the frame behind the back seats with a few screws, PIECE OF CAKE! :thumbsup:

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Saying that mounting it upside down is bad dont make any sense to me.
If thats true then mounting them side ways would be bad because as we all know heat rises therefore the top half of the amp would have the heat going through it. . . . .
Also mounting an amp to a sub box aint the best idea. . . .

Thats my gripe over.

C

Crimmo

sire01TMK said:
I have a VS & I mounted my 2 ALPINE amps on a piece of 16mm mdf on the axle hump behind the back seats. I attached 2 90 degree angles to the mdf & then attached it to the frame behind the back seats with a few screws, PIECE OF CAKE! :thumbsup:

Got any pics? I've got a VS and was thinking about doing the exact same thing.

Franga

Reaction score
Website
www.apollochat.com
Members Ride
1996 VS Executive
I did mine the other day also. Same thing, 300x360mm piece of MDF carpeted it, Removed the back seats and screwed it in nicely. Fits a treat and looks good, Better than on the back of the box. This is in a VS too.

sire01TMK

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK 308
Crimmo said:
Got any pics? I've got a VS and was thinking about doing the exact same thing.

I'll get some up soon! :cool:

H

Human

Back of sub box

Yeah I put mine on the back of my subbie box, I heard that wasn't good for the amp because of the vibration, but I couldn't really find anywhere else cause I'm running out of room in my boot.

I had to design my own box to fit into my boot, because the box plans that came with my speakers would not fit into my boot, plus I wanted to be able to still get my spare tyre out, it took a bit of designing and calculations, so that the internal size of the box allowed good resonation, but I'm glad i did it cause it sounds awesome. 2x12" MTX 300w RMS subs by the way.

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but they suck a lot of power, and my lights dim when I work the speakers, any recomendations on fixing this, I don't really want to wire up an oscillator, but I heard that drawing to much current from my battery could make it explode, or just mess up my car's electrics :eek:(

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
When your lights dim is your motor running? If it is and the lights are dimming you probably need a bigger alternator. I don’t see how it would make your battery explode. It may shorten the life of the battery because when the lights dim you are interrupting its charge. It goes from being charged, to supplying power to your system for that big bass note, and then back to charging again.

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
deserthead said:
I've got a VX and b4 the gas conversion I mounted my amps (3 of em) under the parcel shelf. There is heaps of room under there, and you dont even notice them when the boot is open.

As far as mounting goes, its all circuit board (electronic/solid state)stuff inside, mounting it vertical aint guna hurt it.

Any other questions bout running cables etc, shoot.

Cheers, Keegan

Thats what I've done

H

Human

Running

dephilile said:
When your lights dim is your motor running? If it is and the lights are dimming you probably need a bigger alternator. I don’t see how it would make your battery explode. It may shorten the life of the battery because when the lights dim you are interrupting its charge. It goes from being charged, to supplying power to your system for that big bass note, and then back to charging again.

Yeah it does it even when my motor is running, I havn't checked my alternator's output, but i might do that.

Either way I've put in a smaller amp as well, because the other one was a bit of an over kill, so now its a clarion instead of a sony, supposedly better sound quality as well. The clarion can be adjusted a lot more then the sony to.