Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good spot for amp?

headspin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Berlina
Headspin

Ive got mine mounted upside down under the parcel shelf and it works fine without getting to hot.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
They should NOT be mounted upside down. Most decent brands will specify that your warranty will be void if mounted upside down for a reason, it shortens the life of the amp.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
if its hard up against the parcel shelf (metal bit) the whoel thig is gonna act like a heat sink.... massive heat dissapation!

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
dephilile said:
When your lights dim is your motor running? If it is and the lights are dimming you probably need a bigger alternator.
i like this thread. lots to sink my teeth into!
ok not quiet though phil.
1st upgrade all major grounds to 2ga or greater.
2nd new battery of 800 cold cranking amps (CCA) with a good reserve time (RA) (90 odd minutes would be ok. 120min would be better).
then consider getting your alternator checked
finally replace with a bigger output alternator.
or just mess up my car's electrics
yes if the voltage dips too low it can damage some amps.
i cant really see how you can be driving an amp soo hard and close to its capacity that it generates that much heat that the tiny space between the outer casing and the circut board that there would be a significant increase in temp, espicially that it wont dissapate into the heatsink quickly enough. also if the amps engineers were not that concerned about the heat production shortening the life of the amp significantly enough to justify the small cost of a little fan.
if you're really paranoid then just mount a fan or 2 blowing onto the heatsinks and also have one pushing air into the amp.
azkwazere said:
if its hard up against the parcel shelf (metal bit) the whoel thig is gonna act like a heat sink.... massive heat dissapation!
true there will be some heat transfer but how much? the paint wont tranfer heat great. there willl also be small gaps between the parsal shelf and amp. better yet if you want to get a heat transfer mat
all i know for sure is that 12volt feels that its ok to mount most amps upside down. if its good enough for him, its good enough for me!
oh by the way response dont specify if mounting upside down voids warranty ;).

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
haha nah it was more for dephillie.
as for if response is decent or not i will hopefully find out tomorrow when i finish my install of a 400W and 4x130W

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
StoneX said:
Because Response aren't a "decent" brand ;)

Sure they are...they just dont market themselves on every show car like pioneer do..... jaycar make some wicked ****... nuf said.

aZk.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
azkwazere said:
Sure they are...they just dont market themselves on every show car like pioneer do..... jaycar make some wicked ****... nuf said.

aZk.
They make "OK" **** :) Good for the price if you have a low budget though. A few of my friends and my brother use the new and old amps. I still wouldn't mount them upside down though. I fix car amps in my job and I don't like fixing toasted ones :(

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah neither, however... its should be ok as long as you imlement fans, or heat gels or something to compensate for the upside downness... does defeat heatsink a little....

aZk.

K

knoted

Wouldn't a cap be a better way of fixing the dimming lights? If your lights are only going down with the subs, then a cap will fix it.
Probably a lot cheaper and easier to wire up than a new alt I'd say.