Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good spot for double din gps antenna?

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
So im getting an eclipse avn726ea double din dvd player for my vy next week and it comes with built in gps, just wondering where the best spot would be to mount the antenna? i was thinking on the front windscreen in the top left corner but would like where others have mounted them to get the best signal.

Cheers Marc

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
what type of antenna is it? similar to a mobile phone or more of a box type?

depending on the antenna, as it may have the gps part built in to it, you may just have to trial and error it, i have one (box type) which is mounted just on the dash towards the windscreen so it gets the maximum signal. the other option is to mount it on the roof or outside on the back window

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
parcel shelf or on dash against the windscreen. u need to give it maximum view of the sky, i get about 8-9 satilites on the dash. trying to find you a pic of it.

aazn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX lumina
i put mine under the dash..(vt-vx)

people here are going to flame me for this.. but on top of the air vents (double sided tape - 3M)[vt-vx] when you pull off the facia..

it will still work no problems.. ive had 2 different antennas (two different units) and both have been put in that location, never
had a problem with it there as there is no metal above the antenna... all OEM jobs (toyota,nissan,subaru etc.) have it mounted
under the dash as it is a much more neater install...

still works just as good.. just takes maybe 15-20 sec longer to find satellites, but once you find them, you wont loose them.

should be able to find somewhere under the dash to put it if you want to go that way.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i put mine under the dash..(vt-vx)

people here are going to flame me for this.. but on top of the air vents (double sided tape - 3M)[vt-vx] when you pull off the facia..

it will still work no problems.. ive had 2 different antennas (two different units) and both have been put in that location, never
had a problem with it there as there is no metal above the antenna... all OEM jobs (toyota,nissan,subaru etc.) have it mounted
under the dash as it is a much more neater install...

still works just as good.. just takes maybe 15-20 sec longer to find satellites, but once you find them, you wont loose them.

should be able to find somewhere under the dash to put it if you want to go that way.

i had thought of placing it under the dash vent plastic, but thought the metal surrounds would cut down on the signal, and well i cbf'd trying lol.. so it works no problems, might have to relocate it n give it a try. thanks for the feedback

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yes i have mounted GPS Antennas under the dash, provided theres no metal in between it and the windscreen and its a quality antenna / head-unit then you shouldnt have a problem.

For maximum gain the top corner of the dash where it meets the windscreen is the best IMO, if you dont mind it being there that is.

blasto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE "Sport"wagon
The GPS signal gets through 1/2" of fibreglass on my boat, so I can't see any problem with a couple of layers of 2mm plastic.