Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good swap? 5L Stroker

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Hey guys,

Some of you may be aware that I am selling a Vr Commo for $600. I have been offered the following as a clean swap and was wondering what you all think:

355 Stroker cleared 5L block with spike rods, 3/8 rod bolts, standard bore and pistons but it has no crank. The engine is from a HSV Manta with 180 000km on the clock.

I am interested in the above as i already have a 5L Vr Ute and thought that it would be a decent upgrade. I would obviously do the engine up as much as possible before dropping it into the Ute.

What are your thoughts? What questions should i ask? Good deal or avoid at all costs???

Cheers guys

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Not really worth it. You would have to get a new crank made unless you can find a stroker crank (good luck with that).

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Cheers for the info guys, it was exactly what i was looking for!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Not really worth it. You would have to get a new crank made unless you can find a stroker crank (good luck with that).

That doesnt make sense. New crank made?? why not just buy one? All factory Strokers run a harrop cast crank not hard to get a new one of them

Personally if the engine is complete minus crank its worth the money COME racing were selling cranks for $700 a while ago

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
That doesnt make sense. New crank made?? why not just buy one? All factory Strokers run a harrop cast crank not hard to get a new one of them

Personally if the engine is complete minus crank its worth the money COME racing were selling cranks for $700 a while ago

Cheers for the info, need more opinions! What would you expect the above setup to be worth?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Saying it worth the money is wrong
I should have said its worth 1 VR Commodore Shitter

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
how are the bores? are they measured for 'out of round', all the lifter bores checked ok? is it crack tested? who relieved the bores for the stroker and did they leave enough meat on it so the coolant doesnt leak? does it come with the heads? manifolds? or is it just a block.

etc.