Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

good tyres ?

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Goodyear LS2 254/45R18

APOLOGIES: Just realised I have responded with the wrong tyre size.

Hi,

I replaced my Potenzas about two months ago. I see that you are in Sydney. If you check the following Ebay link, you will find Goodyear LS2 (OEM fit for the Pontiac G8) for $170 each, or $190 fitted. Store is on the Princes Hwy at Arncliff.

245-45-18 GOODYEAR EAGLE LS2 TYRES *BRAND NEW* VE COMM (eBay item 250748669449 end time 08-Jan-11 08:20:33 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

These tyres are also on sale in Melbourne on Ebay for $290 each. They have come on the market cheaply because Holden was caught out with excess stocks by the sudden cancellation of the Pontiac export program. In the US, they sell for about the same price as Potenzas.

I have used them around town and on a trip to QLD and back. I am totally satisfies with them. The only cheaper options are Indonesian tyres or similar. I would be scared to touch them, but am happy to recommend the Goodyears.

Last edited:

peteyb12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V UTE
i got the maxxis MA-Z1 on my ssv ute, they seem to do the trick pretty well. got them for 250 a pop fitted.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
a shop in Arncliffe is selling Kumho KU31s for around $150 last I checked (for my size - 245/45/18). I have the Kumhos still (they're hanging in there!). Tons of grip (I'd say they're as grippy or better as the stock bridgestones), better-than-average wear, side-walls a touch soft for my liking but far from terrible.

I'd definitely get them again if I wasn't so keen on trying out the FK452s!

wake jake

Reaction score
Members Ride
SIDI SV6 Ute
Another vote for the FK452's great tyre got them on the front of my ute. Cheap and super stable in the wet and dry. Never cheap out on tyres

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
I had a set of FK452's previously and really liked them. I would have gone with the same on my current set but no one had any in stock. Says something! I ended up getting the bridgestones back on for $329 each fitted. The FK452's will be in the OP's budget I reckon. Bob Jane seem to have good prices on them every so often.

Other people seem to like Maxxis too. Said to be one of the better chinese tyres.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
i got the maxxis MA-Z1 on my ssv ute, they seem to do the trick pretty well. got them for 250 a pop fitted.

Same here, great street tyre Ive been using them for ages. Almost always $249 each

Cobber

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I been looking around for an 18 inch tyre. I can't believe how expensive tyres are in this country.
Feel like I'm being ripped off every time I ask for a quote.
Nonetheless I have settled for a set of Maxxis Ma-Z1's that are getting fitted this morning for $270 a pop.
Cheers.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I been looking around for an 18 inch tyre. I can't believe how expensive tyres are in this country.
Feel like I'm being ripped off every time I ask for a quote.
Nonetheless I have settled for a set of Maxxis Ma-Z1's that are getting fitted this morning for $270 a pop.
Cheers.

$270 for 18s? I get that tyre in 19 for $250...

Banicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais '07
The stock Potenzas are actually really good, they have been specifically developed for the VE's when the first model came out. Unfortunately, they are also the most expensive at $400 a tyre when I looked 1.5 years ago.

I can't even remember what I got put on, but they're very good - I shall edit my post once I check at lunch!

Kye

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SV6
Anybody else find the MA-Z1's to be quite slippery in the wet?? I never broke traction or slid in the wet with the Potenzas even with only 15% tread on them but have found myself breaking traction and sliding round a bit on the MA-Z1's...